Printing Tools pdf legend issue

01-09-2013 12:42 PM
BethManghi
New Contributor III
I'm using the out of the box Printing Tools service provided by server 10.1.  The service executes properly, but when the format is set to pdf, some symbols in the legend get mangled (see image below).  In a portrait layout (using pdf format), the legend is completed mangled.  In landscape, it happens below a certain point in the page.  Does anyone know what I may be doing wrong or what is causing this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20614[/ATTACH]

I've tested my application with the sample server (not my own) and still had the same issue.  It also happens with other template layouts.  Other formats (png, jpg, etc.) work fine.  The majority of the symbology is simple.  I haven't tried to create my own template or service, but I guess I'll try that next.  Any insight is much appreciated!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
KeithGerhartz1
Occasional Contributor II
Having the same issue. Did you ever find an answer?
0 Kudos
BethManghi
New Contributor III
No, not yet.  I may try to create my own template when I have a bit more time and see if that solves my problem.
0 Kudos
MattSimmons
Occasional Contributor
It's probably nothing you are doing - the issue is in ESRI's map export tool.  It appears this is the first true map export/print  functionality they've tried to deliver with a server release "out of the box" and in the case of map legends in pdf's it's coming up short.

We experienced this same issue with legends in pdf's in August 2012, while running server 10.1 and designing a web application using the Silverlight API v 3.0.  The developer had several conversations with ESRI support and they provided a workaround that is a bandaid fix... which eludes me for now... I don't know if they plan on improving this in the next server release of API release, but it would be worth contacting someone on the Server or API team at ESRI to get the latest.

For us, too, the other formats looked fine but the most common document is a pdf so we needed that legend to look right.
0 Kudos
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
Beth/Keith,
(a) Are you using service pack 1?  There were some improvements to legend handling in 10.1 sp 1 - not sure if they would fix your specific issues though...

(b) You might also want to read the KB article at http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/40538 which talks about some specific issues in regards to "ArcGIS Server Account's Windows default printer's default page size". What is yours?
0 Kudos
EricVenden
Occasional Contributor II
Bjorn,
Is the KB article you reference a sure fix?  I tried it and still have pixelated legend graphics.  I wasn't sure if I had done something wrong on my end.
Thanks
Eric V

Beth/Keith,
(a) Are you using service pack 1?  There were some improvements to legend handling in 10.1 sp 1 - not sure if they would fix your specific issues though...

(b) You might also want to read the KB article at http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/40538 which talks about some specific issues in regards to "ArcGIS Server Account's Windows default printer's default page size". What is yours?
0 Kudos
BethManghi
New Contributor III
Thanks, Bjorn.  Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not running SP 1 on our server.  I'll have to make that change and see if that helps.
0 Kudos
MatthewFletcher
Occasional Contributor
I used Bjorn's link to fix this issue on my end -  http://support.esri.com/en/knowledge...s/detail/40538.  A good fix to a frustrating problem. 

Thank you Bjorn!
0 Kudos
Robertvan_Waasbergen
New Contributor II
Hi, we're having the exact same problem, using ArcGIS Server 10.2.1: the legend in the PDF output has 6 dots instead of a rectangle for the polygon layer. The link that is referenced in the above comments no longer works.  Does anyone remember the workaround or fix?
Thanks!

Robert van Waasbergen
0 Kudos