Select to view content in your preferred language

How to implement Maptips from mxd/msd

09-02-2010 10:32 AM
JoshuaCoates
New Contributor
I am trying to figure out how to get the maptips that I have set up on my mxd onto my flex map? I created the service for this map from a msd....I dont know if the maptips would still be apart of that file or not. I am just trying to find out where to look or how to configure this in order to have the maptips show up when you mouse over the different features on my map. There are about 4 different layers that I have maptips set up for and I would like to be able to have them all visible when scrolling over or clicking on the features. I appreciate any insight that anyone may have!!

Thanks,
Josh
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Josh,

Maptips from the MXD/MSD are not available in Flex. There is a great amount of overhead that is involved in having an attribute shown for a particular geometry when the mouse is over it and a desktop client is meant to handle this, but a web client like flex is not intended to have this level of complexity. Now before someone else pipes up and say that yes you can have maptips in flex let me reiterate what I am saying. Maptips are possible in flex with some pretty intensive development code, but the web client was not intended to be an online ArcMap and there for you should steer away from this type of development so that your users can have a fast web experience.
0 Kudos
JoshuaCoates
New Contributor
Well that is just wonderful! 😞 Thank you for letting me know though, and seeing how obviously my code knowledge and development is extremely minimal, I will indeed steer away from having the map tips on my flex map. So I guess the next best option is just to display those labels in the mxd and re save the mxd and msd and re save the service and have the labels displayed permanently on the flex map?
0 Kudos