Select to view content in your preferred language

How to add feature layer on the fly for editing

08-13-2014 02:48 AM
SaurabhGupta4
Deactivated User

I need a small help . I have to do some task and I am not able to find how to proceed with it. Can u help me in this

Task 1) A person with admin login logs into web application and then add a layer on the fly and edit it

Task 2) That edited layer have to saved with login name of user  and has to be shared for editing with some of people or group  .

Task 3) This group also edit the layer and the layer get save

Task 4) Admin people logs into system and see the changes and save the final edited layer to main database. 

Just wanted to know how we can proceed with this kinda task 

Thanks in advance Regards

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Saurabh,

Conceptually all of this is possible... But there is very little of this workflow you outlined here that is already built and configurable for you to put into place.

1. You have seen the login thread for the Flex Viewer and I think you have this one covered now.
  2. Adding a feature on the fly is a sticking point, because to edit you have to have a FeatureService published on your ArcGIS Server already.
  3. There are some very complex ways to use ArcPy (python) to create and startup a map service from code, but this is very involved and beyond my realm of expertise.
  4. This is very possible if you create the FeatureService as noted in Step 2 and that editing FeatureService is not the actual FINAL data. You Admin would them review the changes made by your editor before they merged those into the Final MapService.
0 Kudos
saurabhgupta2
Emerging Contributor

Robert

Thanks for the insight . I am thinking on the same lines where i will make two data sets one for admin and one for people editing feature layer . And then i will have to just merge these two when administrator have revived it.

But i have a doubt . We cant create a featurelayer and edit it?

Regards

Saurabh

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Saurabh,

Are you saying that you doubt the fact that you can not created a feature on the fly and edit it?...

0 Kudos
saurabhgupta2
Emerging Contributor

Robert

No i know if we have featurelayer service we can create and edit it .I am asking if i create a featureLayer on client side with my query result can i edit and save it to sever.

Thanks and regards

Saurabh

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Saurabh,

You can create a featurelayer client side from a query but edit operations will be limited and all the data is maintained client side and thus you will have to develop some means of getting this data back to the server (there is nothing built in already for this).

0 Kudos
saurabhgupta2
Emerging Contributor

Robert

Thanks a lot.

Thanks and regards

Saurabh

0 Kudos