Select to view content in your preferred language

Annotation in flex web page blurry with10.1

03-12-2013 07:27 AM
eddiequinlan
Occasional Contributor
Not sure if this is a server issue, arcgis10.1 issue, or 3.1api issue.  However, since I've update all my software i've noticed the quality of my annotation and line work on my web app services are blurry when viewing the web page.  If you zoom in very close there isn't a problem, but prior to the updates i could view the web page at various scales and still maintain clarity.

Any thoughts?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
YannCabon
Esri Contributor
Hi,

Try setting the property smoothing to false on the annotation layers.

Yann
0 Kudos
eddiequinlan
Occasional Contributor
Yann,

where is this property set at?  i don't see anything like that when i select properties for the annotation layer in the .mxd.

Eddie
0 Kudos
eddiequinlan
Occasional Contributor
ESRI,

can you help me out here??  point me in the right direction.  Is it a server issue(same server though)?  New API issue?  New ArcGis10.1 issue?
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Eddie,

I think that it is a simple text Anti-Aliasing issue. When you published your map service you likely used the default Parameters in the service editor dialog and for Anti-Aliasing section it has Anti-Aliasing: None and Text Anti-Aliasing: Force. You want Text Anti-Aliasing: None.
0 Kudos
eddiequinlan
Occasional Contributor
Hi Robert,

I appreciate your help as always......

Yes, I have already experimented with those settings.  The clearest map I can get is with Anti-aliasing = Best and Text Anti-Aliasing = Force. 
Compared to my "old" website on ArcGIS10 which is still in production, I have to zoom in to a scale on the "new" website which is about half that of the old one in order to clearly see the line work and annotation.

I'll keep experimenting,
Eddie
0 Kudos
eddiequinlan
Occasional Contributor
FYI,

I found a combination of settings which has increased the clarity of the map service.  The clarity of the results are almost the same as those using arcgis10.0, but still not as clear.  Hopefully this will help others.

ArcGis10.1 Server Manager settings:
0 Kudos
eddiequinlan
Occasional Contributor
The previous post got sent accidentally, here's the continuation of the previous post.

ArcGis10.1 Server Manager Settings:   1. select the map service in question
   parameters    "Anti-Aliasing" = none;  "Text Anti-Aliasing" = none;

On the flex app ArcGisDynamicMapServiceLayer:
   imageTransparency = true;   imageFormat = png8;

Only setting the parameters on the server did not help very much.  I had to also change the settings on the map service layer in the flex app to really see any difference.  There maybe some other combinations of settings which will increase the clarity of the service.  If anyone finds any, please let me know.

Sincerely,
Eddie
0 Kudos