Select to view content in your preferred language

CAD Advice for experimental community

Jump to solution
11-13-2020 11:02 AM
SchoeningCarto
New Contributor

Greetings all,

I have worked in the backend of GIS and I have digitized my fair share of features. Now I am tackling a new challenge. I am working on the development of an experimental green community. I need to create basic vector data to overlay on a basemap as shapefile. 

I don't need to create anything beyond basic parcel lines and areas for utilities. In essence I need to put a lot of pretty shapes on a map.  With no CAD experience, what program (or Arc extension) would you suggest? 

The scope of this initial phase is to begin soliciting estimates for cost before we get too far along. 

Your thoughts are welcome!

Happy Trails,

Bret S. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanielChantlos-Esri
New Contributor II

Hi Bret,

If you have access to AutoCAD, Esri has built an extension called ArcGIS for AutoCAD https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/arcgis-for-autocad . 

This extension will give you and your organization access to publicly hosted features (parcels, utility service areas, land use, etc) to use in your CAD drawings. If your organization uses ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise, you can also bring in that hosted data to your drawings. Let us know if you have any additional questions regarding the connector. Hope this helps!

- Daniel

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielChantlos-Esri
New Contributor II

Hi Bret,

If you have access to AutoCAD, Esri has built an extension called ArcGIS for AutoCAD https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/arcgis-for-autocad . 

This extension will give you and your organization access to publicly hosted features (parcels, utility service areas, land use, etc) to use in your CAD drawings. If your organization uses ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise, you can also bring in that hosted data to your drawings. Let us know if you have any additional questions regarding the connector. Hope this helps!

- Daniel