Select to view content in your preferred language

cut polygon with an exact area

05-19-2015 04:35 AM
romaingault
Deactivated User

I need to cut some polygons with an exact area and I don't know how to do that!

for exemple I've got a big parcel with 10 000 m² and I need to take exactly 5200m² from the right border of my parcel

Can I do that with an existing tool in arcmap or with a python tool?

thank you for answering

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ToddBlanchette
Frequent Contributor

Hi Romain,

There is no tool that I'm aware of to achieve this.  The closest thing I could think of would be a buffer reduction, but that's done by distance from edge, not the area, and would affect the entire polygon.  As well, a tool would have to be able to "judge" what areas of the polygon you wanted cut.  There are infinite ways that you could draw a cut and remove a selected area from a polygon.  I'm thinking you might have to just draw some polygon clips (on an equal area projection of course) and measure them - or use the measure tool first to find an approximate shape that would work.  You could then edit the shape to get as close as possible to your required output.

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

If you can get the polygon data into a Parcel Fabric, there may be a way to do this with the Parcel Editor Tools.  Here's some information to get started:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Chris Donohue, GISP

romaingault
Deactivated User

Thanks for answering!

Yesterday afternoon I had a look at the parcel fabric and it's effectively probably the good solution.

I must find the time to look at the parcel fabrik it look like an complicate tool I think..

good day

0 Kudos
romaingault
Deactivated User

I did not have the time to try the parcel fabrik but I found a tool to do what I want: ETgeotools

In it you've got some free tools and a licence to use every tools, but  " split polygon by area" looks like a free tool (for the moment 🙂 )

0 Kudos