Visualize 3D Space Time Cube tool

11-17-2014 09:27 PM
origudes
New Contributor II

Hi there

There is an explanation in this link how to use the Visualize 3D Space Time Cube tool, but i can't seem to find the script to download for using this tool?

Visualizing the Space Time Cube—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Professionals

Thanks O

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
LynnCarlson__GISP
Occasional Contributor

Still can't find this tool and the blog indicates it would be available when 10.3 was released.  But can't find it anywhere.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Yeah, it is a bit weird... When I search for it in ArcGIS for Desktop 10.3 it finds the toolbox, but for some reason points to the wrong folder. You can navigate using the Catalog window to the toolboxes folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.3\ArcToolbox\Toolboxes

... and there you should see the python toolbox called "Space Time Pattern Mining Tools.pyt". Double click on the toolbox to see the content and execute the tool you are interested in.

In ArcGIS Pro, it actually does find the toolbox.

Some links in the Help of 10.3:

An overview of the Space Time Pattern Mining toolbox—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Visualizing the Space Time Cube—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Create Space Time Cube—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
LynnCarlson__GISP
Occasional Contributor

Thank you - but I have the Space Time Pattern Mining Tools.pyt" .

I was referring to what I think is supposed to be a different but augmenting toolset - a sample to help "visualize the cube in 2D and 3D" which is mentioned. 

"After Create Space Time Cube has been run, you can use the Space Time Cube Utilities sample toolbox to help you visualize the cube in 2D and in 3D. The toolbox is available for download at http://esriurl.com/SpaceTimeCubeUtilities."

So I guess my question is then is there anything in addition to the Create Space Time Cube tool and the Emerging Hot Spot Analysis tools that I have found in the Space Time Pattern Mining tools?

A tool that is run within ArcScene to visualize the .nc cube that is generated as output from the Create Space Time Cube tool...

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

I see what you mean. The link redirects to an old blog post

There is a recent patch: Date Published: 01-14-2015 for ArcGIS 10.3 for (Desktop, Engine, Server) Spatial Statistics and Space Time Pattern Mining Patch: ArcGIS 10.3 for (Desktop, Engine, Server) Spatial Statistics and Space Time Pattern Mining Patch | S...

... but doesn't mention the utilities though...

There is also another post that mentions it here: Visualizing Player Movement in Sport using 3D GIS | ArcGIS Blog (but no links)

There are two short links used in the 10.3 Help:

http://esriurl.com/SpaceTimeCubeUtilities

http://www.esriurl.com/spatialstats

... but they both redirect to the old (2010) blog post:

Spatial Statistics Resources | ArcGIS Blog

... where you already posted a comment at the end with the same question.

I added some feedback to the Help page in 10.3. Hopefully anyone will look at this. I also did a search on ArcGIS Online, but no hits on the utilities.

Timothy Hales‌, what is a user supposed to do in case the (10.3) Help page refers to a resource which is not available? Does the feedback form on the Help page really notify the right people?

0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

Xander Bakker‌ Submitting the feedback page sends an email to the documentation team. They are really good at addressing issues and getting back with you if needed. That would be the best way to submit this issue.

XanderBakker

As Timothy Hales‌ indicates, it really was the best way. Shortly after using the feedback form on the Help page I received this mail from Jenora D’Acosta who is Design and Implemenation Product Engineer at Esri (Kudos!):

The Space Time Utilities sample toolbox will be posted along with the release of ArcGIS Pro which should be by the end of the week.  Originally, Desktop, ArcGIS Pro and the sample scripts were going to be released together, but we got a little out of sync.  Apologies for the confusion!  Check back by the end of the week (we permalink to that blog post to keep all of our Spatial Statistics resources not included in the doc in one place).

Thank you for the feedback and let me know what you think of the sample script tools when you get a chance.

So Lynn Carlson, GISP‌, it will be resolved shortly!

0 Kudos
LynnCarlson__GISP
Occasional Contributor

This is great news!  Thanks so much for following up everyone.  I look forward to experimenting with this sample script for a project I am working on that might really benefit from it. 

0 Kudos
JenoraD_Acosta
Occasional Contributor

The Space Time Cube Utilities sample script toolbox is posted!  Download here!

Lynn Carlson, GISP‌, Xander Bakker‌, ori gudes

Again, so sorry about the confusion and slight delay.  Feedback and comments are definitely appreciated.  Let us know how you are using the tools!

-Jenora

XanderBakker

Thanks Jenora D'Acosta‌, for the link. So the visualization can only be used in ArcGIS Pro. I have just upgraded ArcGIS Pro to the general release which has just become available and will check it out this week or next week.

Thanx again!

Kind regards, Xander

0 Kudos