LAS Point stats as Raster tool outputs

Jump to solution
08-21-2014 02:23 AM
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Been processing some lidar / las data.

Built the las dataset no probs.

Then I wanted to do some qc / qa.

Pulse counts etc from this tool are pretty self explanatory. But then I looked at building a raster using the "PREDOMINANT_LAST_RETURN" option.

The help says this makes a raster from the "Most frequent last return value". I took this to mean that I could basically output a quickish raster dem image, but it doesn't do that. What I get is a raster consisting of a range of values from 1 to 5, with most being 1. ie not the value of the return but which was the last return.

Am I mis-interpreting what this tool can output?

Using ArcGIS v10.2.

Cheers,

Neil

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Neil,

The range of values are actualy the return values. This function just returns statistics on the data, not the data itself. The "PREDOMINANT_LAST_RETURN" allows you to create a raster that indicates which return number was the predominant last return.

What you need is probably the LAS Dataset To Raster (Conversion).

Kind regards, Xander

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
XanderBakker

Hi Neil,

The range of values are actualy the return values. This function just returns statistics on the data, not the data itself. The "PREDOMINANT_LAST_RETURN" allows you to create a raster that indicates which return number was the predominant last return.

What you need is probably the LAS Dataset To Raster (Conversion).

Kind regards, Xander

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Thanks Xander,

that does look like the correct tool.

Now if I knew how to flag your post as correct I would do it....

Cheers, N

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

I think you found out. Thanx, hope the tool will produce that  data you're looking for...

0 Kudos