How to process .XYZ format data

12-08-2011 05:20 AM
RashidiIsa
New Contributor
Hi everyone,

I'm an undergraduate student, need help for my final year thesis. I have a LIDAR data which is in .XYZ format. How can I process the data to generate a raster files? I have tried using ASCII 3D to Feature Class tool under 3D Analyst/Conversion toolset in ArcCatalog, however, the .shp files generated is problematic. The points do not have height information, hence, I cannot proceed to generate TIN. I do not understand why the software cannot read the Z information from the .XYZ files. Is there any other way to create raster files from the .XYZ files? Really need help..(Note : I'm using ArcGIS 9.3 and the .XYZ files using TAB separator)

Thank you
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
vattarai,
Sorry for not updating my progress..yes, I did re-creating the terrain and it works...
terrain was successfully generated..
then, I created a raster files using 'Terrain to Raster' under 3D Analyst Tools in ArcToolbox..
however, the raster created looks so rough..Is it because of the 'Pyramid Level Resolution'..? because I've choose 2 for the Pyramid Level Resolution...what does it mean by 'Pyramid Level Resolution' and how it affect the raster file..?

Pyramid Level Resolution is the resolution of the pyramid level to use for conversion. The default is 0, which is full resolution.
0 Kudos
JieChang
Esri Contributor
You can directly create raster using the points with the interpolation tools.
0 Kudos
ketakiagarwal
New Contributor
How to convert raster dem in .xyz file format. I need it for MIKE 21 flow model
0 Kudos