Creating a TIN or Terrain - using LiDAR and Survey points

Jump to solution
04-05-2016 03:26 PM
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I think this is a super easy task, but I am not sure if I am missing something or not. I am hoping that one of you GeoNet geniuses can help me make sure I am doing this correctly. I am creating a TIN for a project. Here is the exact wording of the request:

Provide an integrated bare earth surface model that combines both aerial LiDAR data and

ground-based survey data, including survey points from the submerged stream channel (as

applicable), in ESRI triangulated irregular network (TIN) format.

Now, I see my .las data (in which I am able to create an LAS Dataset and then convert it to a TIN), and I see some survey points as well. Though, I don't understand how I am to supposed to include both of these data and make a TIN out of it. The LAS Dataset To TIN—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  tool that I am using only asks for the LAS data.

Would it be safe to assume the the LAS Data already has the ground-based survey control points integrated into it (since the LAS data does have elevation and classification)? Or am I completely missing something here?

Please help and thanks!

Oh, I am using ArcGIS Pro 1.2 but also am using ArcMap 10.3.1 - either way, it does not matter (I don't think). I also have 3D Analyst. Managing DataFederalEsri SurveyingGIS for Hydrographic SurveyingLand Use / Land Cover / Forest Cover Mapping

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Dan,

I really appreciate the reply. I have looked through those links before.The overview discusses the different LAS tools which includes adding files (which basically takes an existing LAS dataset and adds additional .las files to it). The original data in .las format may be what I need but I am hoping for some more clarity from folks who has used this type of data before.

I appreciate your help!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

good luck, there should be something obvious to tie survey points in... which obviously wouldn't be in las format

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Thanks, I appreciate it. I am hoping for something obvious as well (though, maybe I am looking at this wrong and maybe it is something different from what I am thinking...).

I welcome other comments!

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Alright, I believe I have this figured out. I have been looking in an out of everything I can find and it was way easier than I imagined.

Basically, using this tool:

Create a LAS dataset—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop

There is a way to add "Surface Constraints". This was apparently what I was looking for.

Steps:

1). Use Create a LAS dataset—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop

2). Input the .las file

3). Add your Surface Constraints. In this case, my survey points acted as "anchor points" in the surface constraints

4). Run the tool.

5). To create the TIN, you first need to filter the LAS dataset to just show class 2, which is "ground".

6). Run this tool: LAS Dataset To TIN—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

7). [Optional] You can filter out some of the extra data created by the TIN by using this tool:

Delineate TIN Data Area—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Thanks for your help, Dan Patterson ! Just going through the first link you sent got me to where I needed to be.

...ok... looking closely at this again, the SECOND link you wrote,

Add Files To LAS Dataset—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS for Desktop

does allow me to add surface constraints.... Geeze... If I only read closer, I would have seen this through and through. [smacks head on desk several times]

I should never have doubted you, Dan! 

0 Kudos