Converting Multipatch Surface to a TIN

10-16-2017 02:43 PM
NicoleFink2
New Contributor

Is it possible to convert a Multipatch feature class to 3d lines or 3d polygons while preserving its shape/aspect/slope?

background: I've been given a surface from Civil3D and imported it to a multipatch feature class using FME, however you cannot use a multipatch with the surface tools (contour, difference etc.). I used the "Feature Vertices to Points" tool and the "Multipatch Footprint" tool to generate a set of mass points and a clip area to recreate the surface as an esri TIN however the triangulation calculation seems to differ between esri and autocad because i don't get a TIN surface that matches the AutoCad Civil3d surface. Are there other tools out there to breakdown the multipatch surface into a set of 3d lines or 3d polygons (triangles) similar to the TIN Edge, TIN Line, TIN Node tools?

Are there any white papers out there comparing the triangulation methods of Esri compared to AutoCad Civil3D?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The article How To: Convert a multipatch surface into a TIN suggests 

1. Open the Feature Vertices to Points tool and use the multipatch feature as the input to create a point feature class.

2. Open the Create TIN tool and use these points as the Input Feature Class. Use Shape.Z as the Height Field, and click OK to complete the conversion.

Think Location
0 Kudos