Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcScene - Line Of Sight - Setup Observer Point Problem

11-07-2012 12:19 PM
BenVan_Kesteren1
Deactivated User
Hi All,

I have created my arcScene model with buildings at our local airport being a polygon feature class, and i used the 'Build_Height' attribute to project each building as 3D.

Now to create the observation point (point feature class) I am snapping to the top edge of one of the building (ie. the observer is standing on the top of one of the buildings) but when i click with snapping on, it seems to have worked, but the point is actually at elevation 0.0m

I am wondering, am I creating the point incorrectly? Is there a setting i should be using to leave this point on top of my building rather than shooting back down to zero?

Cheers
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MarcinGasior
Frequent Contributor
Maybe your point layer is not Z-enabled? To represent a point correctly in 3D space in ArcScene its geometry in Shape field should be Point Z.
You can declare that point layer store Z values when you create new feature class in GDB (first page on wizard, Geometry Properties - tick 'Coordinates include Z values')
Then, when you create a point in ArcScene, it should have elevation automatically stored as Z coordinate value.

Note: When creating a line of sight sometimes it's useful to raise a point a bit above building top (to prevent this building from obscuring a view). It can be done specifying Layer offset in Base Heights tab in observer layer properties.
0 Kudos