Create Z for Polyline Vertices using DEM

01-18-2016 12:59 PM
JohnHandley
New Contributor III

I am working with new polylines and trying to figure out a way to populate the Vertices "Z" column using a DEM. I have tried the 3D "Add Surface Information Tool" but no luck.

TIA!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
KyleBalke__GISP
Occasional Contributor III

Try the Interpolate Shape tool.

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi John Handley , you placed this question in the ArcGIS Online space. Are you trying to do this in ArcGIS Online or using Desktop?

0 Kudos
JohnHandley
New Contributor III

Desktop

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™ III, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Well, you might want to move it since, it will languish here amongst the web gis, arcgis online questions.  To expedite the transfer, I will refer you to the document...

GeoNet Community Structure

and perhaps one from these choices, depending what you have available, what you want to do with it and how you might want to get and/or use it.

3D

Geoprocessing

Python 

XanderBakker

In that case you will want Interpolate Shape—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop as Kyle Balke, GISP  suggested earlier. This will create 3D features. To add the Z value as an attribute, you can use Calculating area, length, and other geometric properties—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop .

Right click on the field and select "Calculate Geometry..."

And in the dialog windows that appears select "Z Coordinate of Point":

0 Kudos
JohnHandley
New Contributor III

Thanks for the replies. I will pose the question on the 3D board.

The Interpolate Shape tool was a good suggestion, but the routine fails. Something about the Table was not found. JohnH

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

What is the path to the data? No funny characters in the path? " " (spaces) "-" any other funny stuff. Keep paths simple.

Also did you run the tool via ArcMap and a selected layer. Try running it from ArcCatalog instead and pick the actual data.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Can you post the exact error message and describe the input data (type of raster and format of polyline featureclass)  you are using?

0 Kudos
JohnHandley
New Contributor III

Here is the error message:

999999: Error executing function. The table was not found. [ned1310m31021_InterpolateSh6] Failed to (InterpolateShape).

DEM metadata:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

-<PAMDataset>

-<Metadata>

<MDI key="AREA_OR_POINT">Point</MDI>

</Metadata>

-<Metadata domain="Esri">

<MDI key="PyramidResamplingType">NEAREST</MDI>

</Metadata>

-<PAMRasterBand band="1">

-<Histograms>

-<HistItem>

<HistMin>374.1000061035156</HistMin>

<HistMax>729.5999755859375</HistMax>

<BucketCount>256</BucketCount>

<IncludeOutOfRange>1</IncludeOutOfRange>

<Approximate>0</Approximate>

-<Metadata>

<MDI key="STATISTICS_COVARIANCES">4321.932150140458</MDI>

<MDI key="STATISTICS_EXCLUDEDVALUES"/>

<MDI key="STATISTICS_MAXIMUM">729.59997558594</MDI>

<MDI key="STATISTICS_MEAN">522.55597542856</MDI>

No funny characters in Feature Layer and I tried running the Tool with data from ArcCatalog with same result. I do though have a tortuous path to the data, out on a server.

<?xml

0 Kudos