area and volume tab in ArcMap

03-02-2018 09:24 AM
KatieHeffernan
New Contributor

Hello! During my latest update of ArcMap, a tab on the top that i really need seems to have disappeared. It was added for convenience, and said "Area and Volume". When i clicked on it, it would bring up a box that you would have to hit calculate. It would then calculate the 2d area, the surface area, and the volume of my layer. 

Some people have pointed me to the 3D Analyst > Functional surface tools, but this does not bring up that box that i need. The box that it is giving me is different from what i have used before and it is only calculating volume. I very specifically need to calculate the 2d area and the surface area.

Thank you for helping this novice!

Katie

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

It may be that someone designed a custom tool and placed it on your toolbar.  Another possibility is that it was a third-party tool (like XTools).

To help narrow it down, would you by any chance have a screenshot of what the display looked like when the tool was open?  Also, any chance there is another computer that you could access that has the same functionality?

Once you have narrowed down as to what the tool it is to be used, here's some information on how to rebuild the toolbar:

Creating a new toolbar—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Adding a command to a toolbar or the main menu—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Example of the Customize environment:

Also note that you can also add tools other have made using the "Add From File" button to browse for them.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
KatieHeffernan
New Contributor

Oh thank you so much! I was able to add it! You are my hero and you just made my week! Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!

0 Kudos