Select to view content in your preferred language

Does anyone know how I could convert multiple referenced shp files to Obj. files with ArcPro?

03-06-2019 09:26 AM
JoshuaDaline
New Contributor

I have over 100 georeferenced shape files that I created in a program we pay for called SOCET GXP. Is there anyway to export them as .obj or .stl files? My intent would be to 3D print these buildings in a way so they are referenced accordingly . I currently have licenses to ARCMAPS, and ARCPRO. I was able to convert the shapefile to a .obj file with the program ESRI CITYENGIINE but I only have a trial license. I figure since ESRI makes CITYENGIINE mabey the code to be able to export shapefiles as .obj files would be easy to use in ArcPro. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LouLouS
New Contributor

Hi @JoshuaDaline 

I know of a way in ArcPro - but is quite convoluted - I am just learning this myself!

First of all create a new GDB and convert all your Shapefiles to Feature Classes in this new gdb. You can do this by using the 'Feature Class' to Shapefile geoprocessing tool - I think you can add multiple Shapefiles at once.

Then the new Feature Classes would need to be converted to Multipatch using 'Layer 3D to Feature'. This would have to be done as a Batch job. In the Geoprocessing Search window, locate the tool and right click on it, selecting Batch. This will allow multiple inputs at once.

Once you have the multipatch features you can then use the 'Add 3D Formats to Multipatch' tool. Again right clicking and choosing Batch. With this tool you can select the 3D formats ie obj, dae etc.

I am a newbie to this so if anyone has quicker and easier solution Id love to know too. Sorry I cant add any pictures to help as I work on  different system.

0 Kudos
LouLouS
New Contributor

I should have looked at the date - I'm sure you have resolved this by now!

Id still like to know better options though!

0 Kudos