Feature Datasets, SDE, and Spatial References Do Not Match Error

Jump to solution
06-29-2013 07:06 AM
TimHayes
Occasional Contributor III
I have an SDE Geodatabase running with SQL Server 2008 R2.

I created my Feature Classes, now I have decided it a good idea to include some Feature Datasets to group like Feature Classes into.

1) I created a Feature Dataset, set it's coordinate system to the same of the Feature Classes.

2) I load the Feature Classes into the Feature Dataset and I get the message "Spatial References Do Not Match", none of my data gets loaded. I also tried Copy/Paste, no luck.

Any idea how to resolve this?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Import Feature from the Right Click menu? That didn't work for me.
I never tried the Toolbox route though, maybe that works?

Edit: Oh, I think you mean when you set the Coord. system of the Feature Dataset in SDE. Good idea. In my case, the Feature Dataset was already existing.

Sorry, poor choice of words.  Use the import button in the New Feature Dataset dialog.  (See attached image.)  If you have an existing feature dataset and you are unsure of it's spatial characteristics, you can Export the feature class of your choice from ArcMap to the feature dataset.  It will take care of the projection for you.
That should just about do it....

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I have an SDE Geodatabase running with SQL Server 2008 R2.

I created my Feature Classes, now I have decided it a good idea to include some Feature Datasets to group like Feature Classes into.

1) I created a Feature Dataset, set it's coordinate system to the same of the Feature Classes.

2) I load the Feature Classes into the Feature Dataset and I get the message "Spatial References Do Not Match", none of my data gets loaded. I also tried Copy/Paste, no luck.

Any idea how to resolve this?

Are you specifically referencing the feature class using the import button?  That's how I prefer to set the coordinate system.

However, I'm not a big fan of feature datasets used as organizational tools, especially in an SDE database, and urge you to reconsider this approach. See this discussion.
0 Kudos
GISDev1
Check the XY Resolution and XY Tolerance. See if they match between the SDE Feature Dataset and the File GDB Feature Class. Just having the same WKID isn't enough in this case. I learned this the hard way a few months ago.
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Check the XY Resolution and XY Tolerance. See if they match between the SDE Feature Dataset and the File GDB Feature Class. Just having the same WKID isn't enough in this case.

Which is exactly why using the import feature is the way to go...
0 Kudos
GISDev1
Which is exactly why using the import feature is the way to go...

Edit: Oh, I think you mean when you set the Coord. system of the Feature Dataset in SDE. Good idea. In my case, the Feature Dataset was already existing.
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Sorry, poor choice of words.  Use the import button in the New Feature Dataset dialog.  (See attached image.)  If you have an existing feature dataset and you are unsure of it's spatial characteristics, you can Export the feature class of your choice from ArcMap to the feature dataset.  It will take care of the projection for you.
0 Kudos