How can I set up different edit and view settings for my webmap and feature hosted layers, without having to use the same parameters for both?

Jump to solution
03-13-2018 06:38 AM
MilPARMENTIER
New Contributor II

The problem is as follows:

I have a WebMap with two Feature (Hosted) Layers: the layers have to be editable by members of AGOL that I choose, yet I want the webmap to be public, but of course not editable by everyone. The problem is that when I try to do so, the editability of either the layers or the webmap has to be changed so both have the same 'level' of editability. I found this post in Geonet https://community.esri.com/thread/84480 in which someone within Esri Inc suggests 5 workarounds, but I strongly believe there ought to be a better way to adjust the editability and viewing settings of Feature (Hosted) Layers and Webmaps, so both elements have their own settings that do not conflict.

Any better solution than the workarounds in the post?

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

In addition to the solution provided by Jake, you shoud have a look at Create hosted feature layer views—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS . This allows you to create a view of a hosted feature layer and assign different permissions to the view (only view the content and not allow editing for instance). 

The idea of having a public map, requires that all elements consumed by the map public.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JakeSkinner

Hi Mil,

Take a look at the following document on how to limit access to public layers:

Limit access to public layers - Crowdsource Reporter | ArcGIS for Local Government 

You could run through the steps to add the service as an item to your AGOL organization, share the layer to everyone, add the layer to a web, disable editing, share web map with everyone, and then limit the usage of this public layer to the web map. 

You could then have another web map that contains the secure layer, where users will need to sign into AGOL in order to edit the service.

MilPARMENTIER
New Contributor II

Thanks a lot for your response. Although this should work, I still think this topic is worth forwarding to Software developers, as I am aware I'm not the first one - and won't be the last - who wants to apply this type of settings; maybe enabling an option to have separate edit and view settings in AGOL that do not have to be per se equal (in both feature hosted layers and webmap) in order to function properly.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

I would recommend posting this on the ArcGIS Ideas page so the development team is aware of the functionality you are requesting.

XanderBakker

In addition to the solution provided by Jake, you shoud have a look at Create hosted feature layer views—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS . This allows you to create a view of a hosted feature layer and assign different permissions to the view (only view the content and not allow editing for instance). 

The idea of having a public map, requires that all elements consumed by the map public.