Limiting Usage on Layer in Collector

Jump to solution
06-08-2017 10:47 AM
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

We have our parcels as a layer on ArcGIS Online. I would like to keep using Limit Usage with them, to define which URLs are allowed to access this layer. The problem is, this layer doesn't show up in Collector then. Is there a certain referrer URL we can use to allow Collector to access this layer?

I can't just share it to a certain group, because we allow some outside URLs to access the parcels. I'd prefer to not have to make another parcels layer just for collector if possible.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for your advice! I'm hoping I don't have to do that, because people will be easily confused by having multiple Parcel items.

I was taking a look at the traffic with Fiddler, and I actually got it to work in Collector when a test item (also hosted on our own server) had it's Usage Limited to "ArcGIS_AndroidSDK". That layer was still unavailable (as intended) when I tried to access it from another AGOL account and add it to a map. So it seems to be a valid way to Limit Usage to Android mobile devices at least. 

Edit: The iOS string is arcgisios.

As Doug mentions below, this still allows any application built with these SDKs to access the item, not just Collector.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chelsea,

If this is a hosted feature service you could create a view.

Create hosted feature layer views—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

Nope, it's an item linked to what we have hosted on our own server. Unfortunately it changes daily, so we couldn't do hosted.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

You can add the service as another item in AGOL and share it to a specific Group for the Collector application.  So you will have two items pointing to the same feature service:

Parcels - shared with everyone with limited usage

Parcels_Collector - shared with a Group that collector users are invited to

0 Kudos
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for your advice! I'm hoping I don't have to do that, because people will be easily confused by having multiple Parcel items.

I was taking a look at the traffic with Fiddler, and I actually got it to work in Collector when a test item (also hosted on our own server) had it's Usage Limited to "ArcGIS_AndroidSDK". That layer was still unavailable (as intended) when I tried to access it from another AGOL account and add it to a map. So it seems to be a valid way to Limit Usage to Android mobile devices at least. 

Edit: The iOS string is arcgisios.

As Doug mentions below, this still allows any application built with these SDKs to access the item, not just Collector.

JakeSkinner

That's great, I never knew you could put "ArcGIS_AndroidSDK" in the 'Referrer URL or IP' parameter.  I just tested this and it worked!

DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

A word of caution - this will allow any applications built with the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Android to access the item, not just Collector.  

We are evaluating how to add support for this to a future release of Collector, but no timeframe to share yet.

ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for the heads up! I figure it's good enough for us now. Later this year I hope to implement Portal and serve up Collector maps from there to the specific users using Collector.

0 Kudos
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi @DougMorgenthaler , reviving an old thread here. Do you know if there's been any progress on this with Field Maps? It's getting to be a hassle having duplicate layers out there and my users are getting confused. If there isn't a better solution yet, do you know which Referrer IDs will get it to work in Field Maps as of 2024?

0 Kudos
MichelleCassidy1
New Contributor II

Hi, do you know if there is a referral URL or IP parameter for limiting usage for items using Collector on Windows 10? The ArcGIS_AndroidSDK works for me on Android but I still can't see the layer I have limited when using Collector on Windows 10.

0 Kudos