Deploying a Custom Web App Widget – Portal for ArcGIS

01-30-2015 05:41 AM
TayfunOrtabostan
New Contributor II

Hi,

Is there any way the deployment of the custom widgets to use in Portal for ArcGIS (not ArcGIS online)?

As GIS team we have a custom widget but we can not use it with any web application on our GIS Portal. Also we can just use it with stand-alone Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition).

How can we use it withany web application on Portal for ArcGIS or what location can we copy the custom widget on Portal for ArcGIS server? How can we see it in widgetpool of Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS?

Thanks a lot for your valuable answers.

14 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tayfun and others,

Enabling custom widgets within the embedded version of Web AppBuilder in Portal for ArcGIS is NOT a supported workflow.

From the Web AppBuilder help documentation: About Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS

The 3rd paragraph under key features states: “A developer edition is also available that allows you to extend the framework to create custom widgets and themes. Visit ArcGIS for Developers to download Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) and learn more about creating your own custom apps.”

While it is technically possible to enable custom widgets within the embedded version of Web AppBuilder in a Portal for ArcGIS instance, this may void the software license technical support contract because you would be altering the internal software files of Portal for ArcGIS.

Only the Developer Edition of Web AppBuilder supports custom widgets.

Hope this helps,

TayfunOrtabostan
New Contributor II

Hi Derek;

Thank you so much for your detailed answer. This is very helpful for me.

Have a nice Monday.

JoseBarrero1
New Contributor II

Hi Derek.

The widget 'AddShapefile' is very useful for my project. But unfortunately it doesn't work for me. I already put it in my widget folder (WAB Dev), and it shows up on the choose widget window; but once I click on  'AddShapefile' the spinning wheel never ends. I mean it is not able to set up the widget on the web map. Is there something I'm missing?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jose

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Jose,

The 'Add Shapefile' widget is a custom widget made by a 3rd party, so I don't know much about it. Searching in GeoNet, I found this thread:Add Shapefile Widget 

and it looks like another user was also unable to get it working. Looks like it was created by Nathan Strout‌. I suggest you reach out to him for assistance.

Hope this helps,

DerekLaw

FYI, with the release of ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5.1, Web AppBuilder embedded in Portal for ArcGIS now supports custom widgets. Please see this blog,

Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS now supports Custom Widgets in ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5.1 | ArcGIS Blog 

Hope this helps,