Error Opening Feature Class

11-17-2016 12:17 AM
Labels (2)
JoelAnampiu
New Contributor

I took a GIS class a while back and am coming back to working with Arcmap. I don't why I can add some shapefiles and not others. All the other files are located in the general zip file as well (SHX, SBN, SBX, etc.). When I try to add some file it'll say error opening feature class and for a few it will also say could not add the specified data object to the map. I figured maybe there are not enough features so maybe I'll try to convert it from a feature class to a raster? I've had to uninstall the program once because somehow the data source for some my shapefiles were missing (?), thus it was not showing up. Problem fixed on that front but now I have to get these shapefiles for my map. I'm trying to add HUC-12 data from the geospatial gateway showing sub watersheds. 

0 Kudos
14 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

the zip file must be unzipped... just in case you missed that step

0 Kudos
JoelAnampiu
New Contributor

Yes I did that. I just don't know why some shp files are accepted and other that i need aren't. Also why when the shp files/layers are accepted, why then the data source changes to where they're not visible.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

some files may be corrupt or missing parts, some may not be visible since they lack a *.prj file.  There is a large number of reasons.  The best bet is to go back to he source and recover clean versions of the files or a clean backup.  

0 Kudos
JoelAnampiu
New Contributor

I got the data from the NRCS Geospatial Gateway. I've placed an order and downloaded it countless times using different projections (thought that maybe that was the problem). At this point I'm trying to see if I can just change the shp file to a regular layer file.The shapefile is for sub watersheds.

In terms of the data source problem, it's with shp files that I changed to regular layer files once they were added to the mxd. I figured it would be easier than dealing with shp files. These are state and county boundaries. I had to uninstall and reinstall ArcGIS 10 because of a similar problem with my parcel layers. 

It just seems like it causes difficulty on a whim. They work, stop working, I uninstall, then they work again? This is a tedious process. 

Sorry I don't mean to conflate two separate issues into one big mess. Really at this point I'm more concerned with the shape files not being added to the map. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

a layer file makes reference to the data used to create it... I suspect that, that is the issue, you are having problem with *.lyr files not having the right stuff to use.  The best thing is to go to the source, download a clean copy, find out what projection it is provided in and start again.  It has nothing to do with uninstalling and reinstalling arcgis... that a waste of time.

0 Kudos
JoelAnampiu
New Contributor

How would I go about downloading a clean copy? I've tried downloading the data from this website 3-4 times with the same result....USDA:NRCS:Geospatial Data Gateway:Order Data . Even when I change the projections, I end up with the same result. 

Right now I'm trying to work with GRASS GIS and hope for a different result.

0 Kudos
JoelAnampiu
New Contributor

For the problem with the layers the data source is from the Volusia County website. But I've also downloaded the shape files after this happened and nothing happened. I'll try it again. 

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Did you use WinZip to unzip it ?  how about 7-zip ? It is similar but it is a open source software. 

0 Kudos
JoelAnampiu
New Contributor

I used 7-zip. Why would it work for other shape files (i.e. directly from ESRI website) but not the NRCS data? I've got it to display/visualize on GRASS. Just not ESRI which would be much easier. Now I have to figure out how to edit its properties.

However, I do want to know what's going for future reference and saving time. 

0 Kudos