New to arcgis & need help with LEED submittal maps

09-05-2015 03:40 PM
PhilVanderloo
New Contributor

I'm sure arcgis has everything I need to create maps for LEED certification submittal, but I can use some guidance.

Been trying to figure out how to illustrate a radius from a specific location to show, among other things,

• how many street intersections in a 1 mile radius.
  • how may bus stops. (1/2 mile radius)
  • parks or open areas within a 1/2 mile of a specific location, (including walking distance)
  • bicycle networks
  • and local services like restaurants, shops, post office, schools, etc.

Can anyone guide me to the quickest way to get this.

Where can I find these layers and how can I illustrate borders for radii?

Is there a search method to find these map templates already produced?

Thank You

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

street intersections

• intersections to point
  • buffer
  • select by attributes

bus stops

• buffer
  • select by attributes, spatial join

parks within walking distance (or skip the walking distance stuff would be easier)

• network spatial allocation around the point (like a buffer but follows networks)
  • select by attributes etc

bicycle networks

• what about them?

Other stuff

• same?  unless you mean simple queries or network analyst spatial delineation and queries

All doeable, the mapping part will be the least of your problems once the analysis is done.

0 Kudos
PhilVanderloo
New Contributor

Thank You Dan.

But I just spent another hour trying to apply your suggestions with 0 luck.

I search for street intersection layers in arcgis online and I find nothing that applies to what I need. Tried a couple that seemed close, ran an analysis and got zero results. buffered within 1 mile.

As far as the bicycle network I need, the language reads as follows-

Use bicycle maps or mapping tools to determine whether a bicycle network exists within a 2000 yard walking or bicycling distance of the project boundary.

as for parks, which I can't find an applicable layer for either, I need to illustrate that there is an open space within 1/4 mile and I need to show the walking route and distance.

Thank You

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You didn't mention that you were using AGOL data.  But in ArcMap

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/desktop/latest/guide-books/extensions/production-mapping/creating-point...

is one way of getting intersections should you have your own or appropriate data

Re bicycles, the network analyst extension contains appropriate steps necessary to carry out this analysis

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/desktop/latest/guide-books/extensions/network-analyst/travel-modes-conc...

As for parks or open space that would require a landuse dataset which includes the category

0 Kudos