Hello fellow GIS nerds! So I created this "Legend" concept using the Filter widget. (I gave the widget a different thumbnail image.) Our users like having this concept as a legend, because ...
- Each item has a convenient on/off switch.
- Unlike the "Layers" widget, you see the legend symbol without having to expand the layer. And it's nice and clean.
- Expanding the layer allows the user query what features to see.
- When you turn the switch on, the map zooms to whatever features are returned for that layer's query settings.
- In order to make the on/off switch work the way we like, I have to "trick" the widget by putting a filter on the source layer in the source web map that filters out all records (e.g. OBJECTID = -1) ... Then I tell the Filter widget to override the layer's web map filter, whenever the layer is switched on.
- It would be really cool to have a widget that allows users to set up their legends this way, but without having to use that trick.
The map in the above image is password-protected, so I won't link it here. But here is another (publicly-accessible) example of using the Filter widget as a legend:
- Road Sign Inventory Viewing Application
- This app has the on/off switches, but no filtering capability (yet).
Very curious to hear people's thoughts about this.
- File size
- 1.2 MB
- Photo size