Water Distribution: Loops and Dead Ends

Jump to solution
2 weeks ago
MichaelParma
New Contributor III

Greetings,

I'm trying to better understand the behavior of the Loops trace. In this case, I'm specifically trying to use a Loops trace to identify dead ends and I'm using the Naperville sample data in a FGDB. For the most part, running the trace as id returns about what I'd expect. However, there are some oddities, such as why the DMA in the upper left corner is not selected.

MichaelParma_1-1714658849569.png

Drilling in to the north central section, there is an obvious loop outlined here in pink. 

MichaelParma_2-1714659112091.png

Additionally, there are some other single-segments throughout the system that appear they should be part of a larger loop. This is from the far southest corner. 

MichaelParma_3-1714659159728.png

My question is whether this is an artifact of the sample data or something in how the Loops trace functions.

Many thanks,
Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

The reason why the area in pink is not a loop is because the two mains in the upper right hand corner of the pink box aren't actually connected (see screenshot of a downstream trace below).

RobertKrisher_0-1714672781201.png

My guess is if you were to investigate those other areas more closely you would find that they are not looped. A good way to test this is to run an upstream trace, then a downstream trace, and determine why the other path doesn't lead back to a source (directional devices, closed, valves, etc). In order for an area to be considered looped there must be multiple paths back to the subnetwork controller from within the area.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

The reason why the area in pink is not a loop is because the two mains in the upper right hand corner of the pink box aren't actually connected (see screenshot of a downstream trace below).

RobertKrisher_0-1714672781201.png

My guess is if you were to investigate those other areas more closely you would find that they are not looped. A good way to test this is to run an upstream trace, then a downstream trace, and determine why the other path doesn't lead back to a source (directional devices, closed, valves, etc). In order for an area to be considered looped there must be multiple paths back to the subnetwork controller from within the area.

0 Kudos