Select to view content in your preferred language

MCS Maritime Chart Service Layers

a month ago
JeremyGudze
New Contributor

Hi,

More a MapServer/REST based operation question, but it's related to MCS. 

I've created a service with MaritimeChartService enabled, it works fine. I can see all the layers.

MapServer001.PNG

Works good, no problems there. I want to isolate the Data Quality layer. I'm building a web app using this specific layer, is important that the end user can't see the other layers in the drop down menu (like pic above).

I can do that by adding "identify/8" to the URL, so it's .... MapServer/exts/MaritimeChartService/MapServer/identify/8".

If I load this URL in Pro it works, it isolates Data Quality.

MapServer002.PNG

However, my problem is when I load this into my Enterprise portal (Content > New Item > URL). I get an error message, no further error info.

MapServer003.PNG

How can I use this layer, and only this layer, from this service? It is for use in a web app, a separate layer that users will switch on/off to display navigational data quality boundaries.

FYI - I have figured out a way to do this, but it's inefficient. By creating a tile package layer (using MCSTPK), and only selecting the Data Quality layer. However using the Map Image Layer, is much easier/quicker to manage than dealing with tile packages.

Thanks

Jeremy

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TomDePuyt
Esri Contributor

Hi Jeremy,

The MapServer endpoint for ArcGIS Maritime Server's Maritime Chart Service capability is only seen as one Layer by the endpoint.  We do have sub-layers, which is what you see in the table of contents and you can turn those on/off individually but you cannot load them individually.    This is by design to support portrayal.

However, if you use our WMSServer endpoint, you can load individual sub-layers.   The example shown is in ArcGIS Pro.  I've added NOAA's ENC Online WMSSever endpoint using a WMS connection.   

https://gis.charttools.noaa.gov/arcgis/rest/services/MCS/ENCOnline/MapServer/exts/MaritimeChartServi...

This allows you to add one or more of the sub-layers to your map.  This could also be done in your app.

If you are unable to use WMS, then the other options is to create a dedicated map service that only has Data Quality as a sub-layer.   There is a sample in the S52DisplayProperties.xml (ViewOverGroups_Sample4) that shows this for Soundings.  Change the range value to be 31010 as shown below and make that your active OverViewGroups.   A secondary map service can share the same datasets folder as descripted in this help topic.

<ParameterGroup name="ViewOverGroups" defaultVisibility="false">
<ViewOverGroupsDescription>This example allows you to create a single feature layer of data quality that can be turned on/off within your service.  The rest of the service information is suppressed.  This example supports multiple feature layers.   </ViewOverGroupsDescription>
<Parameter name="0" type="E" default="2" value="2" range="31010">
        <Description>Information about the chart display</Description>
        <ExpectedInput code="1" value="False"/>
        <ExpectedInput code="2" value="True"/>
      </Parameter>
</ParameterGroup>

Please email me directly if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,
Tom
Tags (4)
0 Kudos