Integrate my web app into Portal

10-23-2017 01:40 AM
Labels (1)
SaraEL_MALKI
Occasional Contributor II

Hi guys,

I was working for several months on a web app using ArcGIS for server and ArcGIS API for JavaScript and it sounds that my organization will purchase a new version of ArcGIS that comes with Portal,

My question is, is there a way to integrate the code of my app into Portal using the web app builder by adding customized widgets ? because as I know the WAB is working with ArcGIS API for JavaScript, isn't it ?

Is there an article where I can learn how to create new customized widgets with the ArcGIS API in Portal that I can convert my normal code into WAB way of writing code?

thanks in advance for your help,

Portal for ArcGIS‌ ArcGIS API for JavaScript ArcGIS Enterprise

Derek Law‌ Rebecca Strauch, GISP Robert Scheitlin, GISP

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Sara,

You would use the samples and guides in the WAB Dev to learn how to develop custom widgets. 

The latest versions of Portal allow you to add custom widgets.

Create a custom in-panel widget—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developer... 

You will be able to re-use some of your JS code you just need to figure out where in the WAB structure that code will go. WAB is a fairly complex code base that divides many aspects of the app into different classes and manager classes. Yes the WAB uses JS API as is base.

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Sara,

Just to add onto Robert Scheitlin, GISP's post, on this item:

> The latest versions of Portal allow you to add custom widgets.

Please review the contents of this blog,
Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS now supports Custom Widgets in ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5.1 | ArcGIS Blog 

Hope this helps,

SaraEL_MALKI
Occasional Contributor II

Derek Law

Hi Derek,

I wanna know if there is any kind of limitations in creating customized widgets, as example I wanna create charts using a library of my choice and using RelationshipQuery and Tables published in my services, I wanna add attributes to my feature layers, delete some of them and edit others,

Is everything possible with ArcGIS API for JavaScript is possible in customized widgets ?

I am afraid that I can't do everything I want with it ?!

thanks for your help,

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Sara,

I am not a developer and can't really comment on this high level question. If you could provide more specific questions on what exactly you would like to do, then I can check with others.

I would ask that you start by reviewing the help documentation and API Reference,

Hope this helps,