License levels - using both Named User and License Key

Jump to solution
02-02-2023 02:14 PM
FelicityRhone
New Contributor III

I'm working on an app using the ArcGIS Runtime for Xamarin Forms, version 100.15. I have a question about one particular scenario:

An AGOL user,who has only a Lite license level, signs in to the app.

In the app we call ArcGISRuntimeEnvironment.SetLicense(key) with a key for a Basic license.

What I'm finding is that the user still cannot edit secured features, i.e. their own license level is taking precedence over the Basic license. What I was hoping for was that the Basic license key applied to the app would enable all users to take advantage of the Basic editing capabilities.

Is the behaviour I'm seeing expected? Is it supposed to be possible to override the named user license with a key and perhaps I'm just doing something wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor

The user has to be licensed properly, you don't override the user level by assigning a license to the app

ArcGIS Runtime levels can be licensed through user types or through a license key. You must assign a user type with the appropriate ArcGIS Runtime level to members of your organization based on the level of access they need. The following table lists which ArcGIS Runtime level is included with each user type:

The named user still needs to be given a role that includes Runtime Basic or above.  In AGOL if you look at the Licenses it shows what type of Runtime license is associated to a User Type.

If you think about it, if it did not work that way you could simply buy one Basic license for your app and let any Viewer user then have the ability to edit data.

But don't worry as soon as it makes any sense esri will change the licensing model add 15 new types which have different capabilities 😃

Thanks,
-Joe

View solution in original post

3 Replies
PreetiMaske
Esri Contributor

Yes, the behavior you are seeing is as expected. One you login with a particular License level , capabilities are determined by that level. You cannot change license level once ArcGISRuntimEnvironment has been initialized.

0 Kudos
FelicityRhone
New Contributor III

I still see the same behaviour even when I apply the Basic license key first - before the runtime is initialized - and then sign in afterwards. It still says I do not have permission to edit. Does the named user's license just always take precedence over the license set in the runtime environment?

0 Kudos
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor

The user has to be licensed properly, you don't override the user level by assigning a license to the app

ArcGIS Runtime levels can be licensed through user types or through a license key. You must assign a user type with the appropriate ArcGIS Runtime level to members of your organization based on the level of access they need. The following table lists which ArcGIS Runtime level is included with each user type:

The named user still needs to be given a role that includes Runtime Basic or above.  In AGOL if you look at the Licenses it shows what type of Runtime license is associated to a User Type.

If you think about it, if it did not work that way you could simply buy one Basic license for your app and let any Viewer user then have the ability to edit data.

But don't worry as soon as it makes any sense esri will change the licensing model add 15 new types which have different capabilities 😃

Thanks,
-Joe