Oracle 19 upgrade and old connection files

Jump to solution
01-03-2023 04:44 PM
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

We have upgraded a dev database for Oracle 12c to Oracle 19. We did this by creating a new pluggable database and using the data pump to migrate the data over. Then we give the new database the original database's TNS name and rename the old database. All of our existing connection files appear to be working fine. Is there any need to recreate them?

Also, I noticed that this still appears to be an issue at ArcGIS 10.6

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000011653 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@forestknutsen1 - if ArcGIS is not changing, then there is no need to recreate the connection files

A. once you are using TNSNAMES as you pointed out then you will not need to edit any of the geodatabase connection files and they will work just fine to connect to the geodatabases on the new oracle server as you mentioned yourself, hence there is no need to recreate any of the geodatabase connection files.

or

(B) and (C) below apply if using Easy Connect Syntax and not using TNSNAMES in the geodatabase connection files

B. create new geodatabase connection files that point to the geodatabases on the new oracle server

or

C. make a copy of the old geodatabase connection files and manually edit each one of them to point to the geodatabases on the new oracle server

Note: if using ArcGIS Server and there are services published that connect to the geodatabases in the Oracle Server with Easy Connect Syntax, then those service will break and will need to be republished, now if you used TNSNAMES to publish the ArcGIS Server services then everything will continue to work as expected as well.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, it is a good practice to recreate the geodatabase connection files with the new version of ArcCatalog or the new version of ArcGIS Pro that you are now using, especially if the geodatabase connection files were created with a very old version of ArcGIS.

forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Okay, thanks. But in this case just the Oracle version will be changing not the version of ArcGIS. 

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@forestknutsen1 - if ArcGIS is not changing, then there is no need to recreate the connection files

A. once you are using TNSNAMES as you pointed out then you will not need to edit any of the geodatabase connection files and they will work just fine to connect to the geodatabases on the new oracle server as you mentioned yourself, hence there is no need to recreate any of the geodatabase connection files.

or

(B) and (C) below apply if using Easy Connect Syntax and not using TNSNAMES in the geodatabase connection files

B. create new geodatabase connection files that point to the geodatabases on the new oracle server

or

C. make a copy of the old geodatabase connection files and manually edit each one of them to point to the geodatabases on the new oracle server

Note: if using ArcGIS Server and there are services published that connect to the geodatabases in the Oracle Server with Easy Connect Syntax, then those service will break and will need to be republished, now if you used TNSNAMES to publish the ArcGIS Server services then everything will continue to work as expected as well.

0 Kudos
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks! Everything is setup with TNSNAMES.

0 Kudos