I NEED HELP ON CIRCUIT BRAKER IN HIGH VOLTAGE AND MEDIUM VOLTAGE

2 weeks ago
RomuldKiobya
New Contributor III

My client asked why the circuit breaker in a high-voltage network is in the high-voltage switch asset group as an AC Circuit Breaker, while in a medium-voltage network, it is an independent asset group of a Medium-Voltage Circuit Breaker.

Also, the client wants to change some asset types from a specific asset group to create a new asset group and register that asset type. For instance, demand to create high-voltage circuit breakers as an asset group. 

I said no; those asset groups were created with expertise in the electrical engineering field and with the collaboration of partners.  I need your opinion

2 Replies
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

Devices and lines are both modeling equipment.  Generally, per ISO/ANSI standard C.84 breaks equipment in to three overall groups High Voltage, Medium Voltage and Low Voltage.  High Voltage could be divided further into Extra High and Ultra High.

Second is for cartographic reasons, mainly performance of scale suppression.  Generally speaking, you would want High Voltage equipment to be visible at scales larger than you would want Medium or Low Voltage equipment visible.  

Third, attributes and domains assigned to attributes.  Domains can only be assigned at the Subtype or Asset Group level.  Also, attribute aliases and visibility can only be set at the Subtype or Asset Group level.

Many people come from a CIM background.  CIM is not a good cartographic model.  It's a good electrical model, but a really bad cartographic model.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
RomuldKiobya
New Contributor III

There any document approves from Interational standard to show why those devices are at certain assetgroup?