Another reason to migrate to the ArcGIS Online New Map Viewer: Popups

12-08-2021 09:43 AM
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
1 0 365

The new ArcGIS Online map viewer, which debuted in early 2021, contains many enhancements that instructors, researchers, students, and others are finding incredibly useful.   One advantage the new viewer has over what is now known as the "classic viewer" is improved popup imagery functionality.  

Consider the popup size in one of my vegetation surveys as mapped in ArcGIS Online classic viewer, below. While you can click on the image and pull it up as a larger size in a separate browser tab, the image in the map popup is rather small. 

JosephKerski_0-1638984514061.png

In the new map viewer, you can make the popup larger.  To do this, change the "show as list" from the list list mode to gallery mode as shown below.  The gallery mode makes the images much larger.  Plus, you can dock or undock the popups in the new map viewer for additional flexibility.  

JosephKerski_1-1638984526533.jpeg

Equally wonderful is that apps that are based on the new map viewer also take advantage of this and other new capabilities.  These include story maps, dashboards, and more.  See my example below that shows the side-by-side comparison of a dashboard I built for a storm drains education project with the new viewer (left side) vs the classic viewer (right side).  

JosephKerski_3-1638984598742.png

This may seem like a small enhancement, but was a desire voiced by many educators over the years.  The message is:  Keep those suggestions coming!  Our education team is in continued close communication with our product developers and other tools and we relay these suggestions directly to them. 

--Joseph Kerski

About the Author
I believe that spatial thinking can transform education and society through the application of Geographic Information Systems for instruction, research, administration, and policy. I hold 3 degrees in Geography, have served at NOAA, the US Census Bureau, and USGS as a cartographer and geographer, and teach a variety of F2F (Face to Face) (including T3G) and online courses. I have authored a variety of books and textbooks about the environment, STEM, GIS, and education. These include "Interpreting Our World", "Essentials of the Environment", "Tribal GIS", "The GIS Guide to Public Domain Data", "International Perspectives on Teaching and Learning with GIS In Secondary Education", "Spatial Mathematics" and others. I write for 2 blogs, 2 monthly podcasts, and a variety of journals, and have created over 5,000 videos on the Our Earth YouTube channel. Yet, as time passes, the more I realize my own limitations and that this is a lifelong learning endeavor and thus I actively seek mentors and collaborators.