Local Government Information Model Questions

Jump to solution
01-06-2012 05:23 AM
AlanToms
Occasional Contributor
Hello all,

Our organization is in the planning stages of migrating our data into the Local Government Information Model.  As we are matching up feature classes there are some question and we would like guidance.  Overall we are trying to minimize the number of changes we need to make to domains as well as use the models feature classes as intended, but we will modify and add items if necessary.

1. There is no place in the model for Zip Code boundaries.  Should I add them into an existing feature class, which one, and modify a domain or just create a new feature class?

2. There are locations we refer to as Recycle Centers; basically it???s the location for the neighborhood to come dispose of household garbage and recyclables.  I want to put them in the FacilitySitePoint feature class.  They are not a landfill so I cannot use that option.  I could add recycle center to the domain but it???s part of the subtype Industry (that???s where landfill is).  I do not believe that would be a proper use of the Industry subtype though.  Any thoughts?

I???m sure I???ll think of more as we move forward but I any guidance on the above questions would be appreciated.

Thank you
Alan
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ArcGISTeamLocalGov
New Contributor III
Alan

I wanted to clarify Jake's comments a bit and give you some direction that will help you as we evolve the Local Government Information Model. 

1. You are correct, we have not added a Zip Code Boundary feature class to the model yet.  Later this year, we will address Administrative Boundary data management and plan on adding a series of admin boundaries (public safety, revised school and municipal, etc.) missing from the model right now.  Zip codes will be one of those.  In the meantime, feel free to add a zip code feature class to the information model as you see fit.
2. Rather than adding a new Subtype and domain, I would suggest you add a domain value to the current Industry Fcode domain in the information model.  You'll find similar features in this Fcode domain already and i believe its a logical extension to the information model.  So much so, we'll plan on adding "Recycling Facility" to this domain value in the next release.   

One more note, we're wrapping up a My Government Services application in January 2012 that would benefit greatly from having facilities like this in it.

Please let us know if you have any further questions about the information model.  You can contact us directly at arcgisteamlocalgov@esri.com.

Thanks

Scott

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Alan,

1.  There is no place in the model for Zip Code boundaries. Should I add them into an existing feature class, which one, and modify a domain or just create a new feature class?

I would recommend creating a new feature class.  The Local Government Information Model (LGIM) supplies a number of feature classes, but there may be some that you need that are not supplied (and vice-versa). 

2.  There are locations we refer to as Recycle Centers; basically it�??s the location for the neighborhood to come dispose of household garbage and recyclables. I want to put them in the FacilitySitePoint feature class. They are not a landfill so I cannot use that option. I could add recycle center to the domain but it�??s part of the subtype Industry (that�??s where landfill is). I do not believe that would be a proper use of the Industry subtype though. Any thoughts?

I would recommend creating a new Domain and Subtype value if this would make it easier for you and other users to interpret.  The LGIM is not only great to help organize/manage your data, but it also makes it very easy to stand up web applications from the Resource Center's Local Government User Community.  The FacilitySitePoint feature class is used for mainly reference data, so no application will need to query specific fields/domains/subtypes values within this feature class for the application to work.
0 Kudos
ArcGISTeamLocalGov
New Contributor III
Alan

I wanted to clarify Jake's comments a bit and give you some direction that will help you as we evolve the Local Government Information Model. 

1. You are correct, we have not added a Zip Code Boundary feature class to the model yet.  Later this year, we will address Administrative Boundary data management and plan on adding a series of admin boundaries (public safety, revised school and municipal, etc.) missing from the model right now.  Zip codes will be one of those.  In the meantime, feel free to add a zip code feature class to the information model as you see fit.
2. Rather than adding a new Subtype and domain, I would suggest you add a domain value to the current Industry Fcode domain in the information model.  You'll find similar features in this Fcode domain already and i believe its a logical extension to the information model.  So much so, we'll plan on adding "Recycling Facility" to this domain value in the next release.   

One more note, we're wrapping up a My Government Services application in January 2012 that would benefit greatly from having facilities like this in it.

Please let us know if you have any further questions about the information model.  You can contact us directly at arcgisteamlocalgov@esri.com.

Thanks

Scott
0 Kudos
NikitaMorris
New Contributor
Hello to All,

I am getting an 'error reading map package' message when trying to download the Local Government Information Model for ArcGIS 10 via both ArcGIS Online and arcgis.com

Does anyone know how to rectify this situation???

Thanks in advance.

Nikita.
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Have you tried downloading from a different browser.  For example, if you are using Internet Explorer and are receive this error, try downloading using FireFox.
0 Kudos
NikitaMorris
New Contributor
Hi Jake S,

Thanks for the reply and for the help.

I have tried downloading with Internet Explorer, Goggle Chrome and Firefox and I am still getting the same error message. I am not sure what to do next.

Nikita.
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Not sure what could be causing this.  Try downloading the attachment from here.
0 Kudos