how to resolve failed to connect to database an underlying database error occurred class not registered

Jump to solution
03-01-2017 10:54 AM
JuanitaOwens
New Contributor

I am trying to add an excel table to my map.  I get the message "Failed to connect to database. An underlying database error occurred. Class not registered"

What do I need to do to resolve this error?

1 Solution
16 Replies
JuanitaOwens
New Contributor

Thank you.

It worked.

Juanita Owens

Administrative Committee for Pistachios

California Pistachio Research Board

4938 East Yale Avenue, Suite 102

Fresno, California 93727

Office: 559-255-6480, Ext. 101

Fax: 559 255 6485

E-Mail: juanitao@acpistachios.org<mailto:juanitao@acpistachios.org>

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Please mark this as correct to help other users when they are searching for this same issue! Thanks!

--- George T.
NIRPCNIRPC
New Contributor

I had the same problem and it worked. Although the driver is supposed to work with 2007 Microsoft Office systems, it solves the problem even if you have Microsoft Office 2016

RobertHarmon
New Contributor III

The page appears to have moved or been dropped for "Error: Failed to connect to database. An underlying database error occurred. Class not registered".  Does anybody have the new location?

Jared_Motuz
Esri Contributor

Hi Robert,

The previous article does appear to have been removed. If you are receiving this error it may be an indication that the machine being used does not have Microsoft Office installed and will require a driver so that ArcGIS Desktop can view the files. 

Please attempt to download the 32-bit Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable Driver

Download Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable from Official Microsoft Download Cent... 

*The 2007 Office System Driver which was previously the solution has been deprecated by Microsoft and is no longer available for download.

RobertHarmon
New Contributor III

Hi Jared,

My instance of MS Office was recently upgraded from MS Office 2010 (32-bit) to 2013 (64-bit).  I can open .mdb and .xls files in Catalog, but I get the "Failed to connect..." error when I attempt to open. xlsx files.

I'll try the link above and let you know how it goes.

Bob

0 Kudos
RobertHarmon
New Contributor III

Jared,

I just tried to install the 32-bit MS Access db engine 2010 driver and I got an error that I already had 64-bit Office installed.  I installed the 64-bit driver and still get the original "Failed to connect..." error when trying to open a .xlsx file.

Any ideas?

Bob

Jared_Motuz
Esri Contributor

If there are conflicts with the 2010 driver then I would ask that you attempt to install the 32-bit MS Access db engine 2016 found at the following location:

Download Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable from Official Microsoft Download Cent... 

If problems still persist, I would recommend to reach out to Esri Tech Support to look further into this issue.