Opening Field Maps from Workforce: Don't Create a New Feature

Jump to solution
02-17-2022 10:36 AM
pmccord
New Contributor III

We're using Workforce and we want to open a Field Map when a field worker taps on an assignment within Workforce. I've also set this up to pass the Work Order ID from Workforce to a Facility ID field we've created in Field Maps.

I'm able to successfully link the two applications and the Work Order ID from Workforce is passed into my Field Maps form. However, a new feature is created at the assignment point when Field Maps is opened. We have many existing features (water meters in this case) and we're trying to record regular maintenance activities on these water meters. Therefore, we don't want to add a new feature; we simply want to open the form and log some additional information on the existing feature.

Is there a way to link between Workforce and Field Maps and NOT have a new feature placed where the assignment exists?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @pmccord this is technically possible with Workforce, however, it requires a large amount of configuration

• The GlobalID of the feature to be opened in Field Maps needs to be stored on the assignment so that it can be passed to Field Maps
    • you would need to add the GlobalID manually; outside Workforce, in order for this to work
    • the alternative is use set the popup title of the asset the feature is created from to be it's GlobalID; Workforce will then store that GlobalID in the Location text field of the assignment and you can pass it to Field Maps.

Neither of these are workflows we want to continue to suggest - we're looking at enhancing the Workforce web app to allow the GlobalID of features to be passed to the Assignment, when the Assignment is created in the Dispatcher web app. Supporting that workflow will allow you to use Field Maps and Workforce for inspection related use cases.  I'm hopeful that this is work we can pick up and deliver for the June, 2022 release of Workforce.

Craig

View solution in original post

7 Replies
AndyMinor2
New Contributor III

For doing inspection logs, you might want to use Survey123 instead of FieldMaps.

This article should be helpful.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/working-with-existing-feature-services-in-arcgis...

0 Kudos
pmccord
New Contributor III

Thank you Andy, We've linked Survey 123 to Workforce before, but we were hoping to do it through Field Maps this time since we've already put together a pretty involved form and our field crews have been regularly using the app.

Are you aware if the functionality I want is available with Field Maps or is it something that can only be done with Survey 123?

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @pmccord this is technically possible with Workforce, however, it requires a large amount of configuration

• The GlobalID of the feature to be opened in Field Maps needs to be stored on the assignment so that it can be passed to Field Maps
    • you would need to add the GlobalID manually; outside Workforce, in order for this to work
    • the alternative is use set the popup title of the asset the feature is created from to be it's GlobalID; Workforce will then store that GlobalID in the Location text field of the assignment and you can pass it to Field Maps.

Neither of these are workflows we want to continue to suggest - we're looking at enhancing the Workforce web app to allow the GlobalID of features to be passed to the Assignment, when the Assignment is created in the Dispatcher web app. Supporting that workflow will allow you to use Field Maps and Workforce for inspection related use cases.  I'm hopeful that this is work we can pick up and deliver for the June, 2022 release of Workforce.

Craig

pmccord
New Contributor III

Thank you Craig. This is very helpful. I'll keep my eye out for a future release of Workforce where this is possible.

0 Kudos
David
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Thanks for your response. I am trying to get this to work with our Hydrant Inspection Solution.

Does the Global_ID need to be the pop-up title for both the dispatcher map and the assignments map? Is it necessary for the ArcGIS Field Maps pop-up, too?

Thanks for your help. 

0 Kudos
PaulGiroux1
New Contributor III

Hi @David , any luck with this.

I have a workforce assignments feature layer I extended with a public survey123 form for reporting (creates unassigned workforce assignments for dispatch). I extended the same Assignments layer with maintenance related fields for field crew work (using field maps).  

I'm basically using one FC then wanting Workforce to open the field map with the same GlobalID but it doesn't show on the field map side. I tried adding an expression FromWFGlobalID in the field map to see if it would show in the field map fields list when mapping Workforce to Field Maps. 

Can you tell me what/how to config the pop up to pass the workforce assignment globalid to the globalid which is a match in my field map since I use the same jury rigged feature layer?

no_glo_go.JPG

cc @CraigGillgrass 

PaulGiroux1
New Contributor III

Update: Tried the GlobalID in Title hack but when I pass from WF to Field Maps, it still triggers a collect new and not edit existing.

A just good enough for now works by:

1. In App Integration, Pick a specific Field Map but I do NOT map fields from WF to F Maps (I tried everything but it just triggers a collect). So... pick a map, don't pass fields.

2. Mobile Workforce, users select Open In Field Maps which drops a pin at the right location, then from the "What's here", they can simply select the Feature and edit in field maps then close the work order right in the Field Maps interface. 

OLD WORKFLOW
- get's around the crews having to 1. Open in Workforce, 2. Select Open in Field Maps, 3. Doing Maintenance by  collecting new in a separate feature layer then 4. Remembering to go in Workforce to close the work, etc. 

Note: 4. will often be forgotten, frustrating Dispatch

NEW (HACKY WORKFLOW)

1. Open in Workforce, 2. Select Open in Field Maps, 3. Select Assignment in "What's Here" 4. Do maintenance in Field Maps against the extended Assignments layer, 5. Update Assignment status & fields then save which immediately takes effect in Workforce for dispatch & public reporting maps*.

Pros: More streamlined, easier, better for dispatch, better for field

Cons: Does not immediately edit the right feature in Field Maps (aka eliminate 3. in HACKY WORKFLOW).

Note: Hacky but delicious. This workflow will ... um... flow work better. Esri, hurry and get Workforce and Field Maps integrated pronto! I'll buy you (um, well, just 1 employee) snacks when you do!

wfCapture.JPG

MicrosoftTeams-image (3).jpg

* Yup, we have a Survey123 Connect project that hangs off the same Feature Layer and does some cool lookups like the streetlight number, address, etc. Fun!

0 Kudos