Can't reactivate a Workflow Diagram after edits.

Jump to solution
11-15-2023 03:08 PM
AlyssaWood
New Contributor II

I think I've seen the answer so I'm just trying to confirm since I can't find the answer again. I have created a Workflow Diagram and I'm creating and deleting jobs to test it as I go. But as I make some changes, I can't re-activate the Diagram. The error I get says; "Diagram does not have a valid first step." I clearly have a start step and I haven't edited anything near the beginning of the diagram either. I saw something about deleting the jobs before editing the diagram, so I tried that as well and it still says the same thing. I checked the server logs to see if I could see anything else about the error and it wasn't any help. So just to see if anyone has ideas, or if I really have to duplicate the diagram every time I make a change, I'm hoping for some help.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TiffanyWeintraub
Esri Contributor

Hi Alyssa,

You do not have to duplicate the diagram each time you would like to make edits and you should not have to delete the jobs either. That error message is general when there is an issue with the diagram configuration and something that we can look into moving forward.

I am not sure what version you are on but here are a few of things to check in  your editing draft of the diagram that could cause that error:

(a) No floating steps: if you are in an earlier version, you must have all steps in the canvas connected by a path.

(b) Duplicate steps: In earlier versions, the steps would sit directly on top of each other making it very difficult to tell if it was somehow accidentally duplicated. This used to be a bigger issue if you tried to drag a box around all steps to move them, it was easy to duplicate the entire diagram by accident. This has been improved now as well as duplicate steps from copy / paste are offset. You can grab each step and shift it to see if there is a duplicate. 

(c) Missing required information or invalid value(s) in a step configuration.

Hopefully, this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TiffanyWeintraub
Esri Contributor

Hi Alyssa,

You do not have to duplicate the diagram each time you would like to make edits and you should not have to delete the jobs either. That error message is general when there is an issue with the diagram configuration and something that we can look into moving forward.

I am not sure what version you are on but here are a few of things to check in  your editing draft of the diagram that could cause that error:

(a) No floating steps: if you are in an earlier version, you must have all steps in the canvas connected by a path.

(b) Duplicate steps: In earlier versions, the steps would sit directly on top of each other making it very difficult to tell if it was somehow accidentally duplicated. This used to be a bigger issue if you tried to drag a box around all steps to move them, it was easy to duplicate the entire diagram by accident. This has been improved now as well as duplicate steps from copy / paste are offset. You can grab each step and shift it to see if there is a duplicate. 

(c) Missing required information or invalid value(s) in a step configuration.

Hopefully, this helps!

0 Kudos
AlyssaWood
New Contributor II

This was helpful. I did have a random step floating in space, but it will be nice to have some tips for future troubleshooting! Do you have any common troubleshooting documentation for Workflow Manager in general?

0 Kudos