When exactly do I need an edge-junction-edge connectivity rule?

Jump to solution
2 weeks ago
JürgenBiendara
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out for which cases exactly an edge-junction-edge rule is needed. Is this rule generally needed if I want to topologically connect two line objects with different asset types via a node/junction?

I have carried out this test. The following two junction-edge rules can be found in the Electric Utility Network Foundation data model:

• Electric Junction/High Voltage Attachment/AC Overhead HV <-> Electric Line/High Voltage Connector/AC Connector HV
  • Electric Junction/High Voltage Attachment/AC Overhead HV <-> Electric Line/High Voltage Overhead Conductor/AC Overhead HV

I have created an “Electric Junction/High Voltage Attachment/AC Overhead HV” and connected an “Electric Line/High Voltage Connector/AC Connector HV” from one side and an “Electric Line/High Voltage Overhead Conductor/AC Overhead HV” from the other side.

When I now execute a connected trace starting from any point on one of the two lines, all three objects end up in the result set. For me, this means that there is a topological connection between the line objects with different asset types. Do I still need an edge-junction-edge rule for this case and if so, why?

Many thanks for your help, best regards,
Jürgen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

You only need and E-J-E if you do not want the Edge to end with a Junction.  Also, for this rule to be enforced(create a Error Feature), you need to ensure you do not have an E-J rule for those AG/ATs.

Lets use a pipe example.  I want a Pipe to connect to a Pipe through a Union.  I never want a Pipe to end at a Union(if so, water would be flowing into the ground).  So I could use a Pipe To Pipe Via Union.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

You only need and E-J-E if you do not want the Edge to end with a Junction.  Also, for this rule to be enforced(create a Error Feature), you need to ensure you do not have an E-J rule for those AG/ATs.

Lets use a pipe example.  I want a Pipe to connect to a Pipe through a Union.  I never want a Pipe to end at a Union(if so, water would be flowing into the ground).  So I could use a Pipe To Pipe Via Union.  

0 Kudos