Possible changes in Water Distribution Utility Network Foundation

Jump to solution
01-23-2023 01:33 AM
Bili
by
New Contributor III

I use the Water Distribution Utility Network Foundation,
Am I allowed to change the alias of Subtype and replace the domain set in the assettype field.
For example, I have a subtype called Bonding Line, but it's redundant and I don't need it, so I want to rename it to Farming Line and replace the set of domains in the assettype field called Asset_Type_Water_Line_Bonding_Line with a set of domains called Asset_Type_Water_Line_Water_Main that also exists in Water Main.
I know the ways to do it, the question is if it might cause an error in the network because I use the Water Distribution Utility Network Foundation
Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

I would not suggest that.  You should only rename items if they modeling the same thing.  The bonding line is a CP feature and is set up to model current, not water.  It would be more work changing it to be a farm line then just adding a new one.

View solution in original post

RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

You should only rename/reuse an asset group/type if it is the same type of asset. The codes and categories associated with each asset type are built into the network definitions, displays, etc. Repurposing an existing asset type to make it behave differently is as much work as creating a new one since you must carefully review and update all the configurations associated with (including the D_Configuration and D_Rename tables).

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JMalik
by
New Contributor II

It is generally safe to rename subtypes and replace domain sets in the assettype field. However, it is important to ensure that the changes you make do not create conflicts or errors in the network. This includes making sure that the new subtype and domain set are compatible with the rest of the network and that any references to the old subtype or domain set are updated accordingly.

It's recommended to make a backup of the network before making any changes, also you might want to test the changes in a development environment before applying it to a production network. Additionally, it is advisable to consult with the vendor or developer of the Water Distribution Utility Network Foundation, as they may have specific guidelines or recommendations for making changes to the network.

MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

I would not suggest that.  You should only rename items if they modeling the same thing.  The bonding line is a CP feature and is set up to model current, not water.  It would be more work changing it to be a farm line then just adding a new one.

RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

You should only rename/reuse an asset group/type if it is the same type of asset. The codes and categories associated with each asset type are built into the network definitions, displays, etc. Repurposing an existing asset type to make it behave differently is as much work as creating a new one since you must carefully review and update all the configurations associated with (including the D_Configuration and D_Rename tables).

Cash_Eddy
New Contributor
It would make more sense to add a new subtype as "Farming Line" instead modifying this on the existing Bonding Line subtype that has other properties set in place thus creating more effort and risk to your model.
By adding a new subtype and a new domain for the new subtype, you could then configure the specific rules to get the expected behavior. If the Bonding Line subtype is not wanted in your ArcGIS Pro project, you can simply remove it from the included subtypes without having to actually modify or delete it.
This is a safer approach for what is trying to be accomplished and can be done by navigating to the Water Line layer properties, then Subtype, and remove the Bonding Line subtype from the right side under "Included subtypes".  After adding your new subtype "Farming Line", go back to the properties and add it to the included subtypes to show up in your ArcGIS Pro project.