licensing question - ArcGIS Pro Basic

Jump to solution
08-22-2022 08:10 PM
PierreloupDucroix
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

I am trying to use a Gis Professional Basic named user, with a Utility Network user extension, to access my UN services in ArcGIS Pro.

The data show on the map, but I don't have access to the UN ribbon. I thought it was possible to do some UN actions with a Basic license, as we can see here : https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/utility-network/water/exploring-the-arcgis-utility-network...

PierreloupDucroix_2-1661223844326.png

With a Standard license, everything works.

My questions are :

- How can I access the ribbon with a Basic license ?

- Is it possible to Edit data in ArcGIS Pro with a Basic License (as we can edit a UN service with a Creator for example) ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RemiMyers
Esri Contributor

Hi.  As you probably know, licensing for ArcGIS Pro/ArcGIS Enterprise is composed of four elements.  1) the user identity, 2) the Pro license (basic, standard, advanced), 3) the capabilities (view, editor, creator) and 4) any extensions (such as the Utility Network).

The basic license for ArcGIS Pro is exactly what it says, it is a basic configuration that lets you have basic map components and elements but is very limited on advanced capabilities (such as the UN tools exposed in the Ribbon or GP toolbox).  For more details regarding the ArcGIS Pro licensing levels, I recommend this documentation.   The ArcGIS Utility Network Extension provides access to the functionality on the server side but has no ability to provide capability that is driven by licensing on the ArcGIS Pro side.  So you might ask, why did you include it in that statement, well, if someone were to write an add-in for UN-type capability it could work along the lines of a viewer role; we don't constrain that behavior, but we don't provide the tools to enable it.  ArcGIS Pro at the Basic level does not allow editing in a multiuser environment, so it is not available for editing.   If you have more questions about your licensing, I strongly recommend reaching out to your sales manager for more details and I apologize for the confusion in the blog.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

standard and advanced according to the help as well

Frequently asked questions—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

see How is a utility network licensed?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
RemiMyers
Esri Contributor

Hi.  As you probably know, licensing for ArcGIS Pro/ArcGIS Enterprise is composed of four elements.  1) the user identity, 2) the Pro license (basic, standard, advanced), 3) the capabilities (view, editor, creator) and 4) any extensions (such as the Utility Network).

The basic license for ArcGIS Pro is exactly what it says, it is a basic configuration that lets you have basic map components and elements but is very limited on advanced capabilities (such as the UN tools exposed in the Ribbon or GP toolbox).  For more details regarding the ArcGIS Pro licensing levels, I recommend this documentation.   The ArcGIS Utility Network Extension provides access to the functionality on the server side but has no ability to provide capability that is driven by licensing on the ArcGIS Pro side.  So you might ask, why did you include it in that statement, well, if someone were to write an add-in for UN-type capability it could work along the lines of a viewer role; we don't constrain that behavior, but we don't provide the tools to enable it.  ArcGIS Pro at the Basic level does not allow editing in a multiuser environment, so it is not available for editing.   If you have more questions about your licensing, I strongly recommend reaching out to your sales manager for more details and I apologize for the confusion in the blog.

0 Kudos
PierreloupDucroix
Occasional Contributor II

Hi, thank you for the clarification

I understand that a Basic license is useless in my case, since it behave like a viewer of the UN in a Pro environment.

In order to edit a UN, I then need Standard licenses

regards

0 Kudos
RemiMyers
Esri Contributor

Yep, Pro standard or above, Editor user type or above and UN...you can edit with that configuration

0 Kudos