export Utility Network options (XML or Asset Package or Copy & Paste)

11-07-2023 05:17 AM
DasheEbra
Occasional Contributor

I'm currently exploring the various methods for exporting a Utility Network, and I'd greatly appreciate your insights and experiences on this topic.

From my point of view:

1. XML Export: It seems like a solid choice for exporting an entire GDB, including the UN and associated feature classes or tables. It's a single file, which seems less prone to corruption compared to a file GDB presented as a normal folder.

2. Asset Package: This method appears useful for exporting the UN (or the entire GDB) and is great for updating or altering network properties. However, I'm a bit uncertain about using this solely for taking a backup of the UN because it creates a .gdb. Therefore, I'm considering exporting an XML file from the asset package to create a more secure, non-editable backup.

3. Copy & Paste: As far as I understand, this method is suitable for duplicating a UN from one GDB to another, and it seems to lack significant advantages or disadvantages.

However, I'm eager to hear from all of you! What are your preferred methods for exporting a Utility Network? Are there scenarios where one method stands out as better than the others? Do you have any insights, tips, or tricks to share?

7 Replies
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

Copy & Paste and XML Import will bring over any errors that exist in things like rules, roles, etc.  Apply Asset Package will catch those in Apply and prevent them from being introduced in to your new utility network

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
DasheEbra
Occasional Contributor

Hi @JohnAlsup thanks for your valuable info, but what did you means with 'errors' do you mean UN errors?

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

Everything @JohnAlsup  said plus remember that Apply Asset Package can load data in parallel and will import associations faster.

AnthonyRyanEQL
Occasional Contributor III

I found Copy & Paste doesn't work between two Enterprise geodatabases. Maybe it was due to a few invalid records (eg. orphaned/duplicated associations) that prevented it from working.

I have migrated an Electric & Telco UN using the asset package method. It had approx. 14M assets with 24M associations. It was from AWS SQL Server 2017 RDS to HANA 2 SP05. As @JohnAlsup mentioned above, the network data/information needs to be in good shape before it can be loaded using this method

JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

If you never change any rules or terminal configuration or association rules or network attributes or network categories, then you probably would never see some of the errors I am referring to.  These are errors in the network properties that arise due to changes in the network properties. For example, I have a device with a two terminal configuration.  Now, I change that device to use a single terminal configuration, but I did not change all connectivity rules.  So, when I export those rules, I won't be able to import them as some of them will be invalid.  

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
DasheEbra
Occasional Contributor

Thanks John, I'm wonder if there is a way that I can implement the untools to Export and re-import in the same UN Gdb version?
- My motivation behind this is to emulate a scenario similar to the replica concept. Since replicas are not supported in branch versions, I'm exploring alternative approaches. The envisioned scenario involves a centralized GDB containing a utility network. A GIS manager in distribution company creates a child version in ArcGIS Pro on the Centralized DB at the main office branch. And there's a rule to prevent internet connection so the network must be turned off and only available at a specific period of time with high security (similar to offline editing, which doesn't support utility networks concept).

0 Kudos
RadhakrishnanNeelakantan
New Contributor III

Another consideration:

If the UN is exported through options like XML Export / Asset Package, all the subnetworks will become dirty and topology will be invalidated. Due to this, depending on the network size, long post process may be required, to update all subnetworks and enable/validate topology.

On the other hand, Copy/Paste will preserve the subnetwork status and topology. This could be handy if turnover time to copy and publish a new service is a constraint.