Updating Zoning Types (Table) When Zoning Types are "In Use" Prevents Deleting Existing Zoning Data

Jump to solution
09-08-2023 10:32 AM
ScottEdmondson
New Contributor III

QUESTION/PROBLEM:  Can i batch update my Zoning Types data by uploading an updated spreadsheet, and if so, how do i do it given the "Districts (ALL) in Use" message that is preventing me from deleting the existing Zoning Types data? Are there multiple update options? If so, what are they?

SITUATION:  In deploying AGU for the first time, 

I developed the Zoning Types Table 6 months ago (March).

In April, I developed the Space Use Types Table using the same Space Use Type names used in the zoning table.

In June I updated the Space Use Types Table, but not the zoning table (forgot about the connection! :)). 

Just now, in Aug/Sept, i developed the metrics, which led to a third revision of the space use types names and metrics to use in the space use types. I updated the space use types cards in AGU (not via an upload).

However, now I need/want to update our Zoning data to reflect the new (and final) space use type names AND, more importantly, their metrics so that AGU will be able to indicate whether a use is permitted in a zone or not and for the metrics to function.

I could update each zoning district manually by opening the card and choosing the space use types. However, I have 130 or so zoning districts and multiple uses allowed that vary across districts. So i thought it would faster to batch update all the districts by deleting the current zoning districts and reuploading the revised zoning table with the JASON code updated for the new space use type names in the SpaceUseTypes field of the zoning table. And which I've done (the updating of the Zoning Table in preparation for upload). 

Of course, when i went to delete my zoning districts, if found they are "ALL" in use (see screenshot attached of the first page), which seems odd since we only have two plans in AGU now in two small areas of the city and to which only a few of our zoning districts apply.

QUESTION/PROBLEM:  Can i batch update my Zoning Types data by uploading an updated spreadsheet, and if so, how, given the "District in Use" message that is preventing me from deleting the existing Zoning Types data? Are there multiple options?

Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ElizaGutierrez-Dewar
Esri Contributor

Hi Scott! I hope you are doing well. 

This should actually be a quick fix. Your approach makes total sense, you want to delete out all the existing zoning types so you can replace them with a version with updates JSONs for Space Use Type. Currently, the zoning types you have are "locked" because they are in use by the zoning boundaries in your overarching data model. You need to delete the boundaries from the data manager, swap out the zoning types as you've described, and then reupload the zoning boundaries. 

The "in use" is referring to the fact that there are zoning polygons in your model that use that type, not anything within a specific plan. 

Please let me know if that helps! Sounds like you are building out your model with a great amount of detail. 

Cheers!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ElizaGutierrez-Dewar
Esri Contributor

Hi Scott! I hope you are doing well. 

This should actually be a quick fix. Your approach makes total sense, you want to delete out all the existing zoning types so you can replace them with a version with updates JSONs for Space Use Type. Currently, the zoning types you have are "locked" because they are in use by the zoning boundaries in your overarching data model. You need to delete the boundaries from the data manager, swap out the zoning types as you've described, and then reupload the zoning boundaries. 

The "in use" is referring to the fact that there are zoning polygons in your model that use that type, not anything within a specific plan. 

Please let me know if that helps! Sounds like you are building out your model with a great amount of detail. 

Cheers!

ScottEdmondson
New Contributor III
Hi Eliza,
I’m doing well. Thanks. Good to hear from you.
Ah, yes, of course. Tables need to be uploaded BEFORE boundary features, which then connect to/use the table data!!
I should have thought of that myself.
I’ll follow your directions and take care of it.
THANK you.
Scott
0 Kudos