Duplicating and Aligning Buildings on a parcel

02-17-2023 08:12 AM
MelanieNeedle
New Contributor III

Hi, I am struggling with trying to figure out if it is possible to select a building and repeat it numerous times within the same parcel. The duplicate tool is not available when you select multiple floors of a building. It seems like you cant select a whole building in the edit spaces mode. Also interested in knowing if there is functionality for aligning/snapping buildings together.

Thanks,

Melanie

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DominikAllemann
Esri Contributor

Hi @MelanieNeedle ,

Thanks a lot for reaching out. 

Building duplication

What you are observing is correct: the duplicate tool only works for individual building floors within the same building. There is currently no tool available in Urban, that allows you to copy & paste entire buildings neither within the same parcel nor from one parcel to another. 

Please feel free to suggest an ArcGIS Urban Idea if you think that such functionality should be available in Urban. 

As a workaround, you could use the Upload footprints capability:

1) Draw the building footprints in ArcGIS Pro using the editing tools.

2) Publish the layer with the building footprint polygons to ArcGIS Online

3) In the plan configuration, use Urban's "Upload footprints" capability

4) Use the spaces editing tools in Urban to refine the buildings that were generated based on the imported building footprints.

Building alignment

Currently, there is snapping when drawing new spaces/surfaces or when editing the vertices of existing spaces/surfaces. There is no snapping when moving entire buildings.

If you think that such capability would be crucial for Urban, please suggest an ArcGIS Urban idea - ideally with some additional insights about the use case(s) where such functionality would come in handy. 

In case of additional questions and feedback, please let us know.

-Dominik

0 Kudos
GerhardParzinger
New Contributor II

Hi @DominikAllemann ,

I am not able to upload footprints using the Upload footprints capability, so I would like to add my question to this thread, as you are mentioning it here.

When I follow the steps you have described and linked here above, I always get the pop-up message "You got an error. Cannot connect to feature layer", which pops up halfway through the import process (see screenshot). I have tried this in different plans and with different import layers. Uploading parcels works fine.

Thank you in advance for your advice,

Gerhard

GerhardParzinger_0-1689903778498.png

0 Kudos
DominikAllemann
Esri Contributor

Hi @GerhardParzinger ,

Thanks for reaching out. 
Unfortunately, there is currently a known issue with the footprint upload. On behalf of the ArcGIS Urban team, apologies for any cause inconvenience. 

The good news is: We will release a hotfix for this issue next Wednesday, July 26th, around 2 pm CET.

Please don't hesitate to reach out in case of further questions. 

-Dominik

DominikAllemann
Esri Contributor

Hi @GerhardParzinger ,

This issue is fixed now. Uploading building footprints from a hosted feature layer works again as expected. 

-Dominik

0 Kudos
GerhardParzinger
New Contributor II

Hi @DominikAllemann ,

Thank you for your replies! I have just checked that and it works now 🎉.

Gerhard

0 Kudos
MelanieNeedle
New Contributor III

If the building footprints are uploaded from a hosted feature layer will the metrics still be calculated from the new buildings. 

0 Kudos
GerhardParzinger
New Contributor II

Hi @MelanieNeedle,

Yes, in the upload process, you will be asked which space use type should be assigned to the footprints. Once the import is done, you can change space use type and floor number just as with buildings you created in Urban from the scratch. The metrics are also generated accordingly, just as you know from the buildings you created in Urban.

0 Kudos