Using the select multiple from one field as a "cascading select" for another field

Jump to solution
09-11-2023 02:00 PM
MeganEngel
Occasional Contributor II

I am trying to use selections made in a select multiple field (field 1) to populate another field (field 2) that uses the same list without those selections (from field 1) showing.  I already am using a cascading select to filter down the list based on a name.  I cannot figure out the following:

1. Can it be done? (and how)
  2. How to structure the choice list statement for field 2 (that is already referencing a cascading select for name) to show items from the list that meet the name criteria, but also are all the values that are not selected in field 1.

Quick rundown of what I'm trying to accomplish:

Joe's tracts: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Marnie's tracts: 7, 8, 9, 10

survery1

Name: Joe

Field 1: tract 1, tract 2, tract 3

Field 2: tract 4, tract 5

survery2

Name: Marnie

Field 1: tract 7

Field 2: tract 8, tract 9, tract 10

UPDATE:

• This survey will be public
  • this survey will need to accessible both in the web form or S123 app
  • Authoring the survey in S123 connect.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MeganEngel

Thanks @IssyAmis !

I ended up just solving this before I saw your post.  Here is what I did:

1. Added a third select option and included the tract ID again; which was the same as the name in my choice list anyways.
  2. Then used this statement in my field_2 choice list field: (name=${Name}) and (not(selected(${field_1}, tract_id)))

View solution in original post

2 Replies
IssyAmis
Esri Contributor

Hi @MeganEngel 

I believe you will find the answer to what you are trying to do from this Esri Community thread: Solved: Select_Multiple - return what wasn't selected - Esri Community. If this isn't quite what you're looking for please do let me know and I'll be happy to customise it to your particular use case. 

Thanks,

Issy

MeganEngel

Thanks @IssyAmis !

I ended up just solving this before I saw your post.  Here is what I did:

1. Added a third select option and included the tract ID again; which was the same as the name in my choice list anyways.
  2. Then used this statement in my field_2 choice list field: (name=${Name}) and (not(selected(${field_1}, tract_id)))