Survey123 plus Power Automate and Workforce (on ArcGIS Enterprise)

01-15-2024 11:23 AM
DfIRivers
Occasional Contributor

@JamesTedrick , @IsmaelChivite 

The following describes our deployments which is based on ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1.

I have a Survey123 Connect survey (Survey1) which is used by our industrial staff for asset inspection.  The asset inspections includes identification of any additional works (i.e. assignments).

We are planning to deploy Workforce to manage assignments, and based on the blog article at:
https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/workforce/field-mobility/workforce-survey123-creating-assi...
I have set up a separate Survey123 survey (Survey2) that can be used (by our technical supervisors) to initiate new assignments (unassigned) to Workforce.

We have also deployed Power Automate, so that when 'Survey1' asset inspections are recorded that include any additional works.. then a message is sent to an MS Teams channel (potentially to alert the Workforce Dispatcher).

My question is whether its possible to use Power Automate to pass new assignments from my original survey (Survey1) to the Workforce service... if this isn't possible, I guess the alternative would be to remove the works identification from Survey1 and get our industrial staff to use Survey2 to get the new assignments into Workforce.

I note that there is some discussion around this within the community post at:
https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/editing-multiple-feature-services-in-a-sing...
that suggests that a solution may be possible.. but the post is from 2018, so perhaps there has been updates since then?

Grateful for any insights/advice.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Power Automate has new connectors for both AGO and Enterprise that may be of help. Have you looked into those yet (they weren't around in 2018)?

abureaux_0-1705361002935.png

Workforce is still on my To Do list, so I haven't had time to seriously get into it yet.

0 Kudos
DfIRivers
Occasional Contributor

Hi @abureaux ,

thanks for reply.. we are using a custom connector to connect to surveys on our ArcGIS Enterprise platform, created using guidance at link below..
https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/how-to-create-an-arcgis-survey123-connector-for-micros...

Wasn't able to get the Power Automate ArcGIS Enterprise connector to work.

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Did you get any errors with the connector? I am trying recall making the ArcGIS Enterprise Connector, and I don't remember there being anything too involved (at least compared to the Custom Enterprise connection, which you indicated you've already made).

If it isn't anything on the Power Automate Connector side or the Portal application side, my only thought would be a CORS issue (but if the Custom Connector is working, so to should this one).

abureaux_1-1705422728393.png

I know this deviates a little from your initial question, but I'd think that this new connector should do what you are looking for. Assuming we can get it working.

0 Kudos
DfIRivers
Occasional Contributor

We've tried to configure the default ArcGIS Enterprise connector numerous times and been unable to get the connection created.  Its taken us months to get the custom connector working even with assistance from local ESRI office.  There seem to be security blocks on the WAF which affect our ability to get ArcGIS Enterprise to behave as its supposed to.

Screen shot below shows configuration screen for the ArcGIS Custom Connector..  Are there other Actions that would allow a 'Post to a feature service' that can be added to this connector, or that would be available if the default ArcGIS Connector was worked?

ArcGISEnterpriseCustomConnector.jpg

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

The Custom ArcGIS Enterprise Connector (pictured above) only has the capabilities you see listed under it. It isn't possible to add any additional functionality to this connector. That is where the confusingly named ArcGIS Enterprise Connection comes in, by allowing you access to things like Feature Layers.

Unfortunately I won't be able to help with any WAF issues. It's always a struggle to get IT on the same page, and it took us a good year of back-and-forth to get things into a good state where both us and our IT department are happy.