'Reset' Values from Other Survey by Submitting Multiple Records at the Same Time

01-16-2024 12:39 PM
BeckyC-O
New Contributor

Hello. I have a survey that helps our emergency management agency identify the status of the 37 municipalities in our county. It's pretty simple. A municipality first chooses their municipality from a drop down list.

BeckyCO_0-1705433337574.png

Then they choose a color that best describes their status from another drop down list. They have 3 choices – green, yellow, or red.

BeckyCO_1-1705433491459.png

There are a handful of other questions, but based on these two answers I use a dynamic join (I created in AGO’s map viewer classic ) to update the status visually in a Common Operating Picture (COP) Dashboard.

QUESTION: Here's where my confusion lies... I now need a second survey that writes to the feature service created from the first survey. I understand how to set that up when creating the second survey. What I don't know how to do is to allow the user to submit 37 records (municipalities) that are all color "Grey" at the same time in order to 'reset' my values in the dynamically joined layer.  I don't want to overwrite previous responses, as they will be maintained in the feature service as a record of events. I effectively want a "Select All" button at the top of the second survey that allows the emergency management staff to reset previous answers and allow for new ones to be submitted.

The Survey123 question workflow might look something like this...

1. Would you like to reset the status of all municipalities? (select_one yes/no question)

2. Select all the municipalities you would like to reset. (A select_multiple question might appear here with a list of all the municipalities checked or unchecked based on the answer to question #1. Preferably, the end user could choose to only select a few munis to reset.)

3. Reset color status to Grey for the selected municipalities? (select_one)

Submit

Based on what I've been able to deduce from survey123 threads, repeats might be the better option for this and that select_multiple is likely a no go. I just have no idea how to get to where I want to be with this using repeats or any other Survey123 methods.  I would really appreciate any insights people may have. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

"What I don't know how to do is to allow the user to submit 37 records (municipalities) that are all color "Grey" at the same time in order to 'reset' my values in the dynamically joined layer."

Essentially, you can't. One S123 submission will affect one row in the Feature Layer.

But you could set up a survey dedicated to this task and then use Power Automate to loop through all of the desired records to achieve that outcome. The end result would be the same. This method would take a lot more work to implement though.

The first thing that came into my mind when looking at this, as it appears similar to some Health & Safety content I've worked on previously, is that having the emergency management staff individually reset the municipalities is almost a feature rather than a limitation. You can achieve that desired functionality though (check out the link above).

0 Kudos