Public survey... internet required?

02-17-2024 12:38 PM
savanananah
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am designing a citizen science project and I am using ArcGIS Survey123 to create a public survey.

I want the public to be able to take data and coordinates without requiring them to download an app or create an account.

I don't want them to have to use cellular data to do the survey. It is likely fine to require internet or wifi to access the survey, but how does this work on the field? Does the person open the link to the survey on wifi, and will it continue to work in the field (i.e., no wifi)? Can they still take coordinates on the map?

Thanks.

4 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. You can share a Survey123 form publicly and have people work with it while offline. While offline, users will be able to collect XY locations. Here is how it goes:

1. Publish a survey either with Survey123 Connect or the web designer
    1. If you want to collect XY locations, make sure you add a map question (geopoint)
  2. From survey123.arcgis.com:go into the Collaborate tab of your survey to:
    1. Share it publicly
    2. Get the survey link for the mobile app
  3. Ask users to:
    1. Download the Survey123 mobile app
    2. Once installed, have them click on your survey link 

Once the survey is downloaded, data can be collected while offline, including XY locations. Once back online, users will need to go into the Outbox and click send the data.

More info:

0 Kudos
savanananah
New Contributor III

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

This sounds promising, however I need the process to be as simple as possible so that people aren't intimidated by it. For instance downloading an app, downloading the survey, going into the Outbox etc. are extra steps that might turn someone away especially if they aren't tech savvy. That being said, perhaps it is necessary.

Participants will be required to submit photos so that our team can identify species... is it possible to attach photos to the form when not on the internet? Then, is it possible for me to extract the XY coordinates from the photos after the fact, so that they dont need to use the map aspect? or is this too complicated?

Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
RandyPenird
New Contributor III

Seems the first response missed your "no app" requirement. 

At this time, as far as I've seen, Survey123 needs to be executed in the app or in an internet connected web browser. As far as offline cashing on their device - that goes against your "simple solution" requirement. 

The Survey123 app really is the easiest way to collect offline data, but as far as a standalone product without a wrapper (like the app) I don't believe the solution exists right now. Try submitting your idea to the "Ideas" page maybe ESRI can work on a solution in future releases. 

Research Survey123 Mobile app to see if your can farm up some creative solutions to meet your needs.

Hope this pointed you in the right direction

savanananah
New Contributor III

Gotcha, thanks

0 Kudos