Maximum number of records a survey can store

Jump to solution
01-17-2024 02:04 PM
Will
by
Occasional Contributor II

Is there any limit on the number of records a Survey123 survey can store?  I've seen some limit language on the max number of records that can be returned, etc. but I can't find anything related to if there's a maximum number of total survey responses (records) that a survey can hold - is that related to the number of records in the associated point feature class for the survey?  Thanks for any insight.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @Will ! I concur with @DougBrowning : Contact your Esri representative for details. The answer to your question may vary depending on how you host your layer (ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Online with Premium Data Store, ArcGIS Enterprise Hosted, ArcGIS Enterprise with a multi-user geodatabase) and what data you are storing (with attachments or without attachments).

If you are going with ArcGIS Online and your survey does not include attachments (photos, videos, file uploads, signatures...) you can easily go into hundreds of thousands of records without blinking. If you plan to upload attachments or are using ArcGIS Enterprise it is best to consult.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

We go well over 100,000 all the time.  In our backend over 6 million now.

Will
by
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks @DougBrowning ! - I suspect this limit is in relation to the capacity/file limits of the hosted feature layer storing the records?  But I would appreciate hearing an official statement on this - anyone from Esri out there?  We have a client anticipating a very large number of records, just trying to get sense of the capacity potential and if they've chosen the right platform.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It is at least as much as a GeoDatabase laid out here.  Any chance it will be more than 2 billion?

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geodatabases/manage-file-gdb/file-geodatabase-siz...

File upload limit got changed to 500 MB for 123.

I have never seen a AGOL limited posted but I think its SAP or SQL so not sure it has a objectid limit.  Bigint data type just came out so that may go up anyway.  Servers are AWS so no real issue there.

Interested to see if anyone has seen one posted. I am also curious what other data collection platforms you are considering that are bigger than AGOL?

I would try asking a Esri rep.  Esp to see what this will cost.

Now usability is a whole different story.

IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @Will ! I concur with @DougBrowning : Contact your Esri representative for details. The answer to your question may vary depending on how you host your layer (ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Online with Premium Data Store, ArcGIS Enterprise Hosted, ArcGIS Enterprise with a multi-user geodatabase) and what data you are storing (with attachments or without attachments).

If you are going with ArcGIS Online and your survey does not include attachments (photos, videos, file uploads, signatures...) you can easily go into hundreds of thousands of records without blinking. If you plan to upload attachments or are using ArcGIS Enterprise it is best to consult.