Select to view content in your preferred language

IDEA: Addition of StoryMaps Legend Option

09-06-2023 08:33 AM
leahmaps
Occasional Contributor II

Idea: Add a legend option in the content blocks in the block palette. 

It would be great to have the ability to add a legend into StoryMaps that is not dynamically linked to a map embedded in the StoryMap. Similar to how there is now the table option, there should be one for a legend that will allow you to pick basic shapes (i.e. point, polygon, line) and then assign a hex code and label. 

As a large part of StoryMaps is also images, sometimes you need to put a legend on the side or below an old map or one that you just have a picture of. I have typically done this by drawing a legend in PPT or snipping an image of it in ArcGIS Pro and adding that as an image. This is not very friendly in terms of screen reading accessibility. 

Here is an example of a snipped image legend that can not be read by screen readers. 

leahmaps_0-1694013990084.png

This could easily be formatted similarly to a table without row/column lines. In the first "column" you can pick your symbology shape & color, and in the next "column" add the label.

I drew this as a sample using the table from StoryMaps and added the symbology in PowerPoint.  If this was added into StoryMaps, any side legends needed would be accessible to anyone!

leahmaps_1-1694014327077.png

1 Comment
PeterKnoop

I occasionally find myself doing this as well for the same reasons, and sometimes because we're not happy with the appearance or screen-real-estate usage of the auto-generated legend in an embedded web map or web app. This would be a great accessibility improvement.

I like the suggestion of solving this using the new ArcGIS StoryMaps Table block in your mock-up, by enabling one to put an image in a table cell. I'm sure there would be a lot of other uses for that kind of functionality too, in addition to creating a legend.