Identify suitable land area where a specific tree type can grow

Jump to solution
02-15-2023 01:18 PM
Hope-Hauptman
Occasional Contributor

I have four separate layers: mean annual precipitation (shp), temp min (shp), temp max (shp) and elevation (raster). I have two goals:

1. To locate possible areas that are suitable for tree growth using the following specific parameter ranges within those layers and visualize those areas on a map. 

Mean annual precipitation

100 to 300 mm/per year  

Temperature  minimum

Greater than 3°C

Temperature maximum

Lower than 50°C

Elevation 

250 to 1300 meters

2. To calculate the total area (km^2) of land that that has the above parameters. 

I tried using four different definition queries for each layer but this does not make an overall map that has the criteris above and it also does not allow me to calculate area. I am not sure where to begin to create a workflow for this. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Seems like a basic MCA question.  It seems you've applied the right definition queries to limit the areas you need, however you now need to find the intersection of these layers https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/analysis/intersect.htm

Have you reclassified the Raster?  You can use raster calculator (something like Con statement to reclassify), Reclassify tool and then raster to polygon the remaining values.  that polygon will be your matching elevation area.  Intersect all of these and that's your area which matches all the criteria.  

Ensure the data is projected and then just calculate geometry attributes, or copy to a feature class and look at the shape area (beware probably m^2 i.e divide by a million) perhaps but unlikely ft^2 depending on your projection.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Seems like a basic MCA question.  It seems you've applied the right definition queries to limit the areas you need, however you now need to find the intersection of these layers https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/analysis/intersect.htm

Have you reclassified the Raster?  You can use raster calculator (something like Con statement to reclassify), Reclassify tool and then raster to polygon the remaining values.  that polygon will be your matching elevation area.  Intersect all of these and that's your area which matches all the criteria.  

Ensure the data is projected and then just calculate geometry attributes, or copy to a feature class and look at the shape area (beware probably m^2 i.e divide by a million) perhaps but unlikely ft^2 depending on your projection.

0 Kudos
Hope-Hauptman
Occasional Contributor

I had not yet applied the definition query to the raster for elevation. What is the reason for reclassifying the raster? Cant I just use the raster to polygon tool directly? 

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

You could do that, but depending on the size and heterogeneity of the raster and also the cell size, it could take a very long time and then be cumbersome to work with (think possibly millions of tiny squares).

Using a raster operation initially to reclassify is much much more practical and efficient.  Also don't think you can apply a definition query to a raster but not completely up to speed on Pro.

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What is the Suitability Modeler?—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation may accommodate what you need as well.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos