Topology errors: Line Errors table seems incomplete

03-28-2023 05:11 PM
EvanThoms
Occasional Contributor II

I have a topology where one rule is polygon boundaries in MapUnitPolys must be covered by lines in ContactsAndFaults. When viewing the Error Inspector dialog to look at violations to this rule, both feature classes that participate in this rule are shown:

EvanThoms_0-1680047864671.png

But when I view the same information in the 'Line Errors' table, only the OriginClassID of the origin feature class is shown:

EvanThoms_1-1680047923256.png

Here, TopoRuleID 37 is the id for the 'Boundary Must Be Covered By' rule and OriginClassID 4 is my MapUnitPolys feature class. On row 2, I would expect the DestClassID of ContactsAndFaults, 47, to be shown, but what's there is 0. Is this the expected behavior? I am trying to script the reading of the various topology tables, but if they are incomplete, I'll need to do something else.

ArcGIS Pro 3.0.3

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

If I'm following, the 'Boundary Must Be Covered By' rule is telling you the polygon with OID 12 doesn't have a line covering the boundary of it. The specific line you want to cover it would be unknown to the software.

One example of where DestClassID would be used is when there is a 'Must Not Overlap' rule and there are two known polygons that overlap.

0 Kudos
EvanThoms
Occasional Contributor II

Sorry, not quite. I am not trying to track down the objectid of an offending feature (that would be DestID), but the DestClassID of the line feature class that should be covering the boundaries of polygons in OriginClassID. And it's important because a polygon feature class can have that rule listed more than once in a Topology where for each occurrence a different line feature class is specified. If I want to inspect Line Errors and see if the rule has been violated for just one feature class, I need to see DestClassIDs listed. 

The Error Inspector knows what the DestClassID because it shows the appropriate line feature class in column Feature 2. Why isn't that information listed in Line Errors?

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@EvanThoms ah I understand now. Sorry I don't have an answer for you. Perhaps your best bet would be to contact Esri Technical Support to report it and perhaps see if others have asked a similar question about it: https://support.esri.com/en-us/contact