Symbol raster using discrete bins

Jump to solution
03-15-2024 12:40 PM
KeithAddison1
Occasional Contributor III

I have a raster of continuous data.  Single band, sid format.  I need to symbolize it by discrete colors with each color corresponding to a range of values, ie bin it.  There used to be an easy way to do this in ArcMap with the classify symbology, it was buried somewhere in the histogram if I recall correctly, but it was quite simple.  You could just tell it how many ranges you wanted, set the breaks and that was it.  I can't find anything to do this is Pro.  Is this still possible in Pro?  I can get to the historgram but it doesn't appear to have the options I need I just want to bin the data, not transform it.

KeithAddison1_0-1710531355545.png

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

GREAT!  Okay, next step.  Here is my Data Source and Raster Properties below.  I'm thinking you're working with a raster dataset that has more than 1-band. That's why you're seeing RGB, Stretch and Vector symbology options.  

RasterProperties.JPG

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
KeithAddison1
The weird thing is I opened this rater with the program for manipulating sid files, GeoExpress, and GeoExpress says it has 1 band. Pro says it has 2 bands. May be some kind of bug, I'll see what ArcMap says.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

So if I'm understanding the question correctly, you want to break the symbology of a continuous raster dataset into say 5 classes for discrete colors.  If this is the case, click the raster layer in the Catalog Pane, then you'll see a contextual tab on the  ribbon that says Raster Layer.  On the Raster Layer tab, in the Rendering group is the Symbology tool.  Click that.  In the Symbology Pane, select Classify for the Primary symbology, choose your classification method, set the number of classes you want, choose your color scheme.  On the classes tab, you can set the upper value for each class or click the Histogram and manually set them there too.
RasterSymbology.JPG

0 Kudos
KeithAddison1
You've got it right. Classify just doesn't show up when I click the symbology drop down, it just gives me RGB, Stretch and vector field. Possibly a limitation with the sid file format? Not sure what generation it is. I loaded a tif in the same map and Classify does show up.
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

GREAT!  Okay, next step.  Here is my Data Source and Raster Properties below.  I'm thinking you're working with a raster dataset that has more than 1-band. That's why you're seeing RGB, Stretch and Vector symbology options.  

RasterProperties.JPG

0 Kudos
KeithAddison1

Yep, this raster shouldn't have two bands but does for some reason.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Certainly!  There is an ArcMap Support article that discusses how to extract a single band from a raster.  You can access it here.  I would imagine ArcGIS Pro has the same GP tools to run as in ArcMap.

0 Kudos
KeithAddison1
The weird thing is I opened this rater with the program for manipulating sid files, GeoExpress, and GeoExpress says it has 1 band. Pro says it has 2 bands. May be some kind of bug, I'll see what ArcMap says.