SHP to DWG (CAD) export issues

01-30-2023 05:15 PM
madxwild
New Contributor II

Hi community,

I am using ArcPro 3.0.3, and am often asked by engineers/surveyors to send my ecological data (shapefiles - point, line and polygons) in a dwg format. I find once I carry out the transformation under Analysis->Export to CAD (output coordinate system the same as my shp files being NZGD Mt Eden Circuit 2000) exporting to DWG Version 2018 often gives the engineer/surveyor skewed or completely distorted data. 

I don't use CAD software so have no way to test why it's not working or how I can get a workaround solution around this issue - given that my work is often intensely detailed (i.e. watercourse and wetland delineation) of course the surveyor or engineer will not be wanting to redraw my features from just a georeferenced pdf or jpg file as it'd often take them hours or days to do it. I have no problem importing DWG files and successfully georeferencing them in ArcPro, so the issue is definitely with the way I export my shp to dwg. 

Any advice? I have previously tried exporting the shp files to an earlier DGW version (2013) and this often is a bit of a hit and miss (depending on the engineers software they use for their CAD work). I really need a workaround solution, I never had this issue with CAD exports from ArcMap, it only started once I migrated to ArcPro and can't find anything on the interwebs that would help me figure this one out! Any help much appreciated!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ThomasHoman
Occasional Contributor III

Can you post a sample shape with associated dwg export?

Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos
madxwild
New Contributor II

Hi Tom, 

Attaching an example project with an example of zipped shp files and their associated shp to dwg export (CAD2013 version).

0 Kudos