Reshape Edges Topology: Edge extent

Jump to solution
10-07-2022 07:05 AM
jbcypreste
New Contributor III

Hello. I am currently using topology-enabled reshape edges tool to fix some drainage basins.

When I select the edges on my polygons, some of them are all nice and cool, the whole edge is a single edge, like the upper one on the image below. But for some reason, other edges appear completely shattered into pieces, like the lower one on the image, with all the pink dots. You can see there is no other polygon for there to be multiple intersection points.

I tried selecting multiple edges and drawing a single line, but the error occurs then. What could be causing this?

jbcypreste_0-1665151303037.png

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Thx for the feedback!  So I now wonder if there are gaps/overlaps in your polygon FC.  Are you able to create a geodatabase topology and add rules "must not have gaps" and "must not have overlaps"?

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hmmm...this is odd.  I wonder if what you're seeing are pseudonodes.  According to the web - "The definition of Pseudo node is "Pseudo nodes occur where a single line connects with itself or where only two Polylines intersect."  Let's try something to confirm.  run the Multipart to Singlepart GP tool in ArcGIS Pro and then apply your Map Topology workflow again.  Do you see the same as before?

0 Kudos
jbcypreste
New Contributor III

Did the multipart to single part... they are still around lol

jbcypreste_0-1665159094866.png

It only happens on a few specific edges, specifically between the limits of the major basins. So I guess something must've happened in the past when joining the features from different sources. My org has only recently switched from Map to Pro so there's that too.

I'm using Reshape Feature and Align Features for these cases. Thanks anyway!

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Thx for the feedback!  So I now wonder if there are gaps/overlaps in your polygon FC.  Are you able to create a geodatabase topology and add rules "must not have gaps" and "must not have overlaps"?

jbcypreste
New Contributor III

Hey! I just ran "Find Overlaps" GP tool and there were a bunch of tiny thin gaps and overlaps between those features. I'm doing Reshape to fix them. Is there a tool to find all gaps and overlaps and/or to fix them automatically?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I bet that's what's causing your pink nodes.  You could create the GDB topology in a feature dataset and use the Error Inspector to find and correct gaps/overlaps.

0 Kudos
jbcypreste
New Contributor III

Thanks, it worked! I actually didn't know about gdb dataset topology until now, most here are still used to stacking shapefiles and I only started with pro a few months ago, no this will be very useful in the future.

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

My best guess: there are other features that participate in the geodatabase topology that are not in the map (assuming you are using one and not just a map topology)

0 Kudos
JenniferCadkin
Esri Contributor

To manually clean up overlaps and gaps, you could use the Align Edge tool.  This tool will work with geodatabase and map topologies.  

• on Edit tab, specify the Topology to use
  • from Modify Features pane, choose Align Edge-> edges are displayed with magenta symbology

JenniferCadkin_0-1665506385428.png

• Hover the mouse cursor over the edge to align--> it will display with solid yellow line and possible target edges are shown with a dashed yellow line.  

JenniferCadkin_1-1665506405645.png

• If target is correct, click the edge to move it

JenniferCadkin_2-1665506422269.png